Final Days to Book Hyatt Awards Before Category Changes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Depending on who you ask, 2019 has either been the year of the hotel devaluation or one where you simply need to be more strategic. However, one thing’s for sure: If you know about an impending change and can book an award stay before a property jumps in price, you should do it. And the clock is ticking on one such round of award price adjustments.
As a reminder, there are just a few days left before World of Hyatt’s category changes take effect on Monday March 18 at 11:01pm Central Time. Any award reservations booked on or after this date and time will reflect the updated pricing. However, if you currently have a reservation at any of the properties dropping in price, Hyatt will start proactively refunding the difference in points starting Tuesday March 19. This was a very customer-friendly move on the program’s part, and hopefully it’ll happen without any issues.
As far as award chart changes go, this one was relatively mild, split almost down the middle, with 130 properties increasing in price and 129 dropping. That being said, there are several notable ones moving up a category:
- Andaz Costa Rica Resort at Peninsula Papagayo: 15,000 points to 20,000 points per night
- Park Hyatt Mallorca: 20,000 points to 25,000 points per night
- Andaz Maui: 25,000 points to 30,000 points per night
- Park Hyatt Maldives: 25,000 points to 30,000 points per night
The Andaz increase is particularly painful, as it makes the property ineligible for free night certificates from the World of Hyatt Credit Card. Of course, it’s not the only one in this boat. 17 others are moving from Category 4 to 5, including the Hyatt at Olive 8 in Seattle and the family-favorite Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort and Spa in Florida.
However, there are also 12 dropping from Category 5 to 4, so starting next week, you’ll soon be able to use a certificate at these properties.
You can access a full list of the properties changing categories at the bottom of this link, or you can download this spreadsheet I created if you want to sort or filter the list in any way. You should also check out Summer Hull’s post on how these changes will affect family travelers in 2019.
If you need to quickly boost your Hyatt account, the easiest way to do so before Monday night is by transferring Ultimate Rewards points to the program. These transfers should process instantly (though you may need to log out and then back in to see your updated balance), allowing you to immediately put them to use.
Featured photo courtesy of Andaz Papagayo, Costa Rica.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.