Final Days to Book Hyatt Awards Before Category Changes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Depending on who you ask, 2019 has either been the year of the hotel devaluation or one where you simply need to be more strategic. However, one thing’s for sure: If you know about an impending change and can book an award stay before a property jumps in price, you should do it. And the clock is ticking on one such round of award price adjustments.
As a reminder, there are just a few days left before World of Hyatt’s category changes take effect on Monday March 18 at 11:01pm Central Time. Any award reservations booked on or after this date and time will reflect the updated pricing. However, if you currently have a reservation at any of the properties dropping in price, Hyatt will start proactively refunding the difference in points starting Tuesday March 19. This was a very customer-friendly move on the program’s part, and hopefully it’ll happen without any issues.
As far as award chart changes go, this one was relatively mild, split almost down the middle, with 130 properties increasing in price and 129 dropping. That being said, there are several notable ones moving up a category:
- Andaz Costa Rica Resort at Peninsula Papagayo: 15,000 points to 20,000 points per night
- Park Hyatt Mallorca: 20,000 points to 25,000 points per night
- Andaz Maui: 25,000 points to 30,000 points per night
- Park Hyatt Maldives: 25,000 points to 30,000 points per night
The Andaz increase is particularly painful, as it makes the property ineligible for free night certificates from the World of Hyatt Credit Card. Of course, it’s not the only one in this boat. 17 others are moving from Category 4 to 5, including the Hyatt at Olive 8 in Seattle and the family-favorite Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort and Spa in Florida.
However, there are also 12 dropping from Category 5 to 4, so starting next week, you’ll soon be able to use a certificate at these properties.
You can access a full list of the properties changing categories at the bottom of this link, or you can download this spreadsheet I created if you want to sort or filter the list in any way. You should also check out Summer Hull’s post on how these changes will affect family travelers in 2019.
If you need to quickly boost your Hyatt account, the easiest way to do so before Monday night is by transferring Ultimate Rewards points to the program. These transfers should process instantly (though you may need to log out and then back in to see your updated balance), allowing you to immediately put them to use.
Featured photo courtesy of Andaz Papagayo, Costa Rica.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees