This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the past two months, you’ve been able to transfer American Express Membership Rewards to Aer Lingus, British Airways or Iberia Avios with a 40% bonus. Whether you’ve taken advantage of this already or have been procrastinating, Thursday, Nov. 15, is your last chance to transfer points before this transfer bonus expires.
Membership Rewards members need to initiate an Avios transfer by 11:59pm Mountain Time on Nov. 15 to score this 40% bonus. After that time, the transfer ratio will reset to the recently increased 1:1 ratio. With or without the bonus, you’ll have to transfer Amex points to Avios in increments of 1,000 Membership Rewards points.
Over the past two months, we’ve shown all of the excellent Avios sweet spots that are made even sweeter by this transfer bonus. In case you missed them, here’s a round-up of what you can do:
- Business-class award flights to Spain from 49,000 transferred Membership Rewards points round-trip
- Award flights to Ireland from 19,000 transferred Membership Rewards points round-trip
- Beach getaways to Florida or the Caribbean for 11,000 transferred Membership Rewards points round-trip
- Short-haul domestic first class in American Airlines lie-flat business for 11,000 transferred Membership Rewards points one-way
- Transcontinental flights in American Airlines business or first class for 27,000 or 36,000 transferred Membership Rewards, respectively, each way
- Intra-Asia economy flights for 3,300 transferred Membership Rewards one-way
- Holiday getaways like New York City, Cancun, Los Angeles, Savannah or even Madrid
Once your points are transferred, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to book award flights with British Airways Avios through BA’s website.
While it’s too late to earn Amex points for this transfer bonus, if you want to replenish your supply after taking advantage of this transfer bonus, here are the some of the top ways of earning American Express Membership Rewards:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 60,000 bonus points for spending $5,000 in the first three months of Card Membership
- American Express® Gold Card: 25,000 bonus points for spending $2,000 in the first three months of Card Membership
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: Up to 75,000 bonus points for spending $20,000 in the first three months of Card Membership
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees