LaGuardia Airport’s Renovated Terminal B Concourse Opens Saturday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Thursday that part of LaGuardia Airport’s (LGA) $8 billion renovations will open on Saturday at Terminal B.
Flying in and out of LGA has been a nightmare for travelers — even former Vice President Joe Biden once said landing there was like landing in a 3rd world country, but these new renovations bring a new, 250,000 square-foot concourse, which will have a total of 18 gates occupied by Air Canada, American Airlines, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines. Only 11 will be open on Saturday. Both Air Canada and AA will have flights leaving the new gates on Saturday; Southwest will start using the gates on Sunday, and United will begin using them in 2019.
— Benjamin M. Branham (@benbranham) November 29, 2018
The new concourse is designed with 55-foot high ceilings, floor-to-ceiling windows, an indoor park with benches and landscaping. The gate seating areas are equipped with charging stations and free unlimited Wi-Fi. Traveling with kids won’t be an obstacle here; family amenities include an airport-themed play area, family-friendly restrooms and a private nursing room. Additionally, passengers can have food from places like Shake Shack, Osteria Fusco, Kingside and Iriving Farm delivered to their gate. Not only will the time you spend in the airport improve, but also getting an Uber or Lyft on your way out will become much easier.
When LaGuardia opened in 1939, it became the country’s busiest airport one year after it opened, designed to accommodate 3 million travelers per year. Now with 30 million travelers going through LGA gates, Gov. Cuomo called the airport’s outdated infrastructure an embarrassment.
“The opening of the first new concourse and gates at Terminal B marks another significant milestone in the transformation of LaGuardia Airport into a modern, global gateway that is worthy of the State of New York,” G. Cuomo said in a press conference. “While leaders in Washington only talk about investing in infrastructure, in New York we are actually getting it done, and now travelers from across the world will start to see and experience a whole new LaGuardia.”
In total, the terminal will have 35 gates with the 11 opening in the new concourse and seven more opening in early 2020.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.