LaGuardia Airport’s Renovated Terminal B Concourse Opens Saturday
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Thursday that part of LaGuardia Airport’s (LGA) $8 billion renovations will open on Saturday at Terminal B.
Flying in and out of LGA has been a nightmare for travelers — even former Vice President Joe Biden once said landing there was like landing in a 3rd world country, but these new renovations bring a new, 250,000 square-foot concourse, which will have a total of 18 gates occupied by Air Canada, American Airlines, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines. Only 11 will be open on Saturday. Both Air Canada and AA will have flights leaving the new gates on Saturday; Southwest will start using the gates on Sunday, and United will begin using them in 2019.
— Benjamin M. Branham (@benbranham) November 29, 2018
The new concourse is designed with 55-foot high ceilings, floor-to-ceiling windows, an indoor park with benches and landscaping. The gate seating areas are equipped with charging stations and free unlimited Wi-Fi. Traveling with kids won’t be an obstacle here; family amenities include an airport-themed play area, family-friendly restrooms and a private nursing room. Additionally, passengers can have food from places like Shake Shack, Osteria Fusco, Kingside and Iriving Farm delivered to their gate. Not only will the time you spend in the airport improve, but also getting an Uber or Lyft on your way out will become much easier.
When LaGuardia opened in 1939, it became the country’s busiest airport one year after it opened, designed to accommodate 3 million travelers per year. Now with 30 million travelers going through LGA gates, Gov. Cuomo called the airport’s outdated infrastructure an embarrassment.
“The opening of the first new concourse and gates at Terminal B marks another significant milestone in the transformation of LaGuardia Airport into a modern, global gateway that is worthy of the State of New York,” G. Cuomo said in a press conference. “While leaders in Washington only talk about investing in infrastructure, in New York we are actually getting it done, and now travelers from across the world will start to see and experience a whole new LaGuardia.”
In total, the terminal will have 35 gates with the 11 opening in the new concourse and seven more opening in early 2020.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.