Lagos, Nigeria Predicted to Be World’s Most Populated City by 2100
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s no secret that the world is becoming more urban at a rapid rate. Perhaps no city is more emblematic of this trend than Lagos, Nigeria, which is on track to become the world’s most populated city, with a predicted population of nearly 100 million by the end of the century.
The study on population was completed at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology. According to Daniel Hoornweg, Associate Professor at the University and author of “Population predictions for the world’s largest cities in the 21st century,” Lagos isn’t the only city in Africa that will see a boom in its population.
“Lagos, Dar Es Salaam, Kinshasa: These are the cities that are looking at four- to five-fold increases in population; by the end of the century, the lion’s share of large cities, the top 20 if you will, most of those will be in Africa,” Hoornweg told Voice of America.
In the study, Hoornweg and his team analyzed urbanization rates across major cities to make projections of the world’s largest cities from 2010 through 2100. His team used three different possible schemes, which varied in levels of sustainability, reduction of inequality and speed of technological development.
By 2100, the study predicts the total world population will range from 6.9 billion to 13.1 billion, depending on each situation. Currently, Tokyo is the most populated city with about 38.11 million residents in 2016. Elsewhere in Asia, Hoornweg said that we’re currently seeing the final wave of urbanization in China. Next, it’s headed for India and then it will culminate in the big cities of sub-Saharan Africa. The report goes on to predict that by 2100, 47 of the 101 largest cities in the world will be coastal.
These numbers are meant to be an educated guess with a variety of variables affecting the outcome. Researchers looked at whether increased urbanization will result in higher levels of poverty, depleted resources and more residents living in slums, or whether they will become sustainable hubs that provide an increase in economic development and growth.
Despite its rapid growth and ascendance on the world stage, Lagos isn’t a very accessible city when it comes to commercial air service, as American carriers have only a few nonstop flights to the whole African continent. Currently there are only ten nonstop flights to major African cities from the US, and only about half of those connect the US with cities in West Africa. And, the vast majority of US-Africa flights depart from the East Coast, and are subject to frequent schedule changes and high ticket prices. Currently, Delta is the only US carrier to fly to the Nigerian mega-city, with nonstop flights from both New York (JFK) and Atlanta (ATL).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.