Lagos, Nigeria Predicted to Be World’s Most Populated City by 2100
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s no secret that the world is becoming more urban at a rapid rate. Perhaps no city is more emblematic of this trend than Lagos, Nigeria, which is on track to become the world’s most populated city, with a predicted population of nearly 100 million by the end of the century.
The study on population was completed at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology. According to Daniel Hoornweg, Associate Professor at the University and author of “Population predictions for the world’s largest cities in the 21st century,” Lagos isn’t the only city in Africa that will see a boom in its population.
“Lagos, Dar Es Salaam, Kinshasa: These are the cities that are looking at four- to five-fold increases in population; by the end of the century, the lion’s share of large cities, the top 20 if you will, most of those will be in Africa,” Hoornweg told Voice of America.
In the study, Hoornweg and his team analyzed urbanization rates across major cities to make projections of the world’s largest cities from 2010 through 2100. His team used three different possible schemes, which varied in levels of sustainability, reduction of inequality and speed of technological development.
By 2100, the study predicts the total world population will range from 6.9 billion to 13.1 billion, depending on each situation. Currently, Tokyo is the most populated city with about 38.11 million residents in 2016. Elsewhere in Asia, Hoornweg said that we’re currently seeing the final wave of urbanization in China. Next, it’s headed for India and then it will culminate in the big cities of sub-Saharan Africa. The report goes on to predict that by 2100, 47 of the 101 largest cities in the world will be coastal.
These numbers are meant to be an educated guess with a variety of variables affecting the outcome. Researchers looked at whether increased urbanization will result in higher levels of poverty, depleted resources and more residents living in slums, or whether they will become sustainable hubs that provide an increase in economic development and growth.
Despite its rapid growth and ascendance on the world stage, Lagos isn’t a very accessible city when it comes to commercial air service, as American carriers have only a few nonstop flights to the whole African continent. Currently there are only ten nonstop flights to major African cities from the US, and only about half of those connect the US with cities in West Africa. And, the vast majority of US-Africa flights depart from the East Coast, and are subject to frequent schedule changes and high ticket prices. Currently, Delta is the only US carrier to fly to the Nigerian mega-city, with nonstop flights from both New York (JFK) and Atlanta (ATL).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees