LA Metro Will Use Body Scanners to Detect Explosives
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The rail system in Los Angeles County will be the first in the country to implement full-time use of body scanners capable of detecting improvised explosive devices such as suicide vests hidden on train passengers, authorities announced Tuesday.
Los Angeles’ Metropolitan Transit Authority said that later this year, the agency would deploy a handful of portable body scanners, each one about the size of a small trunk on wheels that can be moved to any of the system’s 93 subway and light-rail train stations. Officials say the scanners will be used to respond to threats of terrorism or to sweep subway crowds after sporting events, concerts or protests.
The scanners can sweep people from 30 feet away, so police could scan large numbers of people as they pass by without stopping commuters during rush hour or interrupting the flow of traffic after a large event. Each scanner can process more than 2,000 people per hour.
The devices use radio waves to detect concealed nonmetallic explosives and even guns or assault rifles hidden on a passenger. As a passenger approaches the scanner, the device’s screen displays two images — one side is plain video of the rider approaching, the other side of the screen shows the person’s body outline in green, with black squares displayed where explosives or weapons might be concealed.
Authorities did not elaborate on the procedure when someone is detected to have a weapon, but they did make clear that passengers would be alerted they were about to be scanned and searched upon entering the affected stations.
“One thing we have to be sensitive to is the 4th Amendment, unreasonable search and seizure,” Los Angeles Metro Security Chief Alex Wiggins told the LA Times. “We will make it very, very clear that individuals are entering an area where they’re subject to search.”
The Transportation Security Administration also temporarily deployed the same technology earlier this year at New York’s Penn Station, where Amtrak trains depart for the well-traveled northeast corridor rail system.
H/T: LA Times
Featured image by Eduardo Munoz Alvarez/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees