Unruly Korean Air Passenger Breaks Part of Plane Window During Descent
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An unruly passenger on board Korean Air Flight 12 broke part of his plane window Wednesday morning as the plane neared landing at Seoul Incheon International Airport (ICN).
The unidentified 31-year-old man’s behavior included abusive language, threats and violence during the flight, culminating in him throwing his tablet computer toward the window near his seat as the plane descended. The impact shattered the plastic interior pane of the A380. No injuries were reported.
He was immediately taken into custody upon arrival, and later discharged into the care of a relative.
Seoul police are investigating the situation, and the man may face charges of violence, damage to property and violating the South Korea Aviation Security Act. The charges may carry serious consequences, as the South Korean parliament recently implemented stiffer punishments for disruptive travelers convicted of inflight violence. Guilty offenders may face up to 10 years in prison.
“We will summon the man in the coming days for questioning,” an Incheon security official said. The official added that the suspect had behaved “a bit mentally strange,” but did not appear to be drunk.
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees