Unruly Korean Air Passenger Breaks Part of Plane Window During Descent
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An unruly passenger on board Korean Air Flight 12 broke part of his plane window Wednesday morning as the plane neared landing at Seoul Incheon International Airport (ICN).
The unidentified 31-year-old man’s behavior included abusive language, threats and violence during the flight, culminating in him throwing his tablet computer toward the window near his seat as the plane descended. The impact shattered the plastic interior pane of the A380. No injuries were reported.
He was immediately taken into custody upon arrival, and later discharged into the care of a relative.
Seoul police are investigating the situation, and the man may face charges of violence, damage to property and violating the South Korea Aviation Security Act. The charges may carry serious consequences, as the South Korean parliament recently implemented stiffer punishments for disruptive travelers convicted of inflight violence. Guilty offenders may face up to 10 years in prison.
“We will summon the man in the coming days for questioning,” an Incheon security official said. The official added that the suspect had behaved “a bit mentally strange,” but did not appear to be drunk.
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.