This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An unruly passenger on board Korean Air Flight 12 broke part of his plane window Wednesday morning as the plane neared landing at Seoul Incheon International Airport (ICN).
The unidentified 31-year-old man’s behavior included abusive language, threats and violence during the flight, culminating in him throwing his tablet computer toward the window near his seat as the plane descended. The impact shattered the plastic interior pane of the A380. No injuries were reported.
He was immediately taken into custody upon arrival, and later discharged into the care of a relative.
Seoul police are investigating the situation, and the man may face charges of violence, damage to property and violating the South Korea Aviation Security Act. The charges may carry serious consequences, as the South Korean parliament recently implemented stiffer punishments for disruptive travelers convicted of inflight violence. Guilty offenders may face up to 10 years in prison.
“We will summon the man in the coming days for questioning,” an Incheon security official said. The official added that the suspect had behaved “a bit mentally strange,” but did not appear to be drunk.
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards