This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Korean Air has become the latest carrier to end free stopovers, halting complimentary visits to Korea on award reservations for flights on July 1, 2020 and beyond. In a short bulletin posted on the carrier’s website, Korean Air said the policy applies to flights in either direction. Currently, one stopover is permitted per each one-way trip.
North America travelers are less likely to be hit hard by the new policy because of the dissolution of the Korean Air partnership with Chase Ultimate Rewards, but it still stings. Stopovers are a great way to break up a long trip and explore a new city and country for a few days without having to pay extra.
For future award flights on Korean Air, you would need to compile a multi-city itinerary comprised of separate one-way tickets to add in a stopover, thereby boosting the number of miles needed to accomplish the same trip.
For example, under the current rules you could burn 85,000 SkyPass miles to travel round-trip between North American and Southeast Asia on an off-peak period (in economy class). You could break the trip up with a couple of days in Korea for no additional cost, doing so in both directions if you want. From July 1, 2020 onward, that break in Korea will become its own flight, adding anywhere between 15% and 30% to your total redemption cost.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Alberto Riva/TPG.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees