Korean Air CEO Indicted on Embezzlement Charges
Korean Air’s management has been through some trying times as of late — especially when it comes to its chairman and CEO Cho Yang-ho and his family.
On Monday, Cho was indicted in Seoul on charges of embezzling tens of millions of dollars, on top of other offenses. According to The Straits Times, Cho was charged with embezzling 19.6 billion won ($17 million), as well as unfairly awarding contracts to companies that are controlled by his family members.
The pocketed 19.6 billion won, collected in fees, was meant to be used for the airline’s maintenance and duty-free operations. In total, the money was collected during the course of the past five years.
Ahead of the proceedings, Cho was not detained, and a date for his trial was not set. Cho was also investigated for suspected tax evasion, though prosecutors dropped those charges in March 2014, according to Bloomberg.
Cho’s indictment is just the latest in a string of mishaps for the family — especially concerning his daughters. In 2014, his eldest daughter, Heather, forced a Korean Air plane to return to the gate because she wasn’t pleased with the nuts that were served on board. Then, earlier this year, her younger sister, Emily, threw water in the face of an advertising executive. Cho Yang-ho fired both women, who were serving as executives of the carrier.
A spokesperson for Korean declined to comment on the matter.
Featured image by Chung Sung-Jun / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees