KLM Will Fly 747s to Vegas for a Short Time
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES) draws enormous numbers of tech aficionados to Las Vegas every January — this year, 175,000 people attended it. Next year, some of those attendees, coming from more than 150 countries, will have a chance to get there in an increasingly rare way: Flying in on a Boeing 747.
Dutch flag carrier KLM will be offering non-stop flights from Amsterdam (AMS) to Las Vegas (LAS) in the days leading up to CES 2019 and one return flight on the last day of the show. The flights will be operated on none other than the Queen of the Skies — the Boeing 747-400 that is. Here are the special routes that KLM will be offering:
- January 6, 2019: KL613 Amsterdam (AMS) 9:55am Departure → Las Vegas (LAS) 1:15pm Arrival
- January 7, 2019: KL615 Amsterdam (AMS) 9:55am Departure → Las Vegas (LAS) 1:15pm Arrival
- January 11, 2019: KL619 Las Vegas (LAS) 4:45pm Departure → Amsterdam (AMS) 11:35am (+1) Arrival
Since KLM isn’t offering service back to Amsterdam on the 6th and 7th, the 747s will continue on to Los Angeles (LAX) and then operate the non-stop flight to Amsterdam (AMS). Unfortunately, this won’t count as a fifth freedom route so there’s no way to book the 747 between LA and Vegas — even if you’re originating in Amsterdam.
KLM, which does not regularly fly to LAS, isn’t the only carrier to add service to Las Vegas just for the show. KLM’s alliance partner in SkyTeam, Delta, will also offer non-stop service from AMS to LAS on the 6th and 7th and return service on the 11th and 12th, operated by its A330-300. Additionally, Air France and Delta will offer a total of 10 flights between Paris CDG and LAS on January 5, 6, 7, 10, 11 and 12, using the 777-300ER and A330-300, respectively.
All of KLM’s 747s have been refitted to offer lie-flat business class seats arranged in a 2-2 configuration. Since KLM does not offer a first class product, booking one of these seats would be a great opportunity to fly in the nose of a 747.
While this will be the first time KLM offers scheduled service to Las Vegas, it won’t be the first time McCarran International Airport sees a 747. British Airways and Virgin Atlantic regularly fly 747s there as well.
Featured image by Economou / NurPhoto / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.