A Former KLM 747 Will Reach Its Final Destination by Ground
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A former KLM queen of the skies, which was most recently painted in a Corendon Hotels livery, will make her final journey this week as she moves from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (AMS) to a nearby hotel. The plane, formerly known as “City of Bangkok” when it was flying with KLM, will be turned into what Corendon Hotels is calling a “Corendon Boeing 747 Experience.” The details of exactly what that is going to be have yet to be released, but it’s scheduled to open sometime in the middle of 2019.
The aircraft, which at one time was the oldest Boeing 747-400 in the sky, will reach her final destination without ever leaving the ground. The job of repositioning the newly retired queen to the hotel is a massive undertaking. The plane is set to traverse 17 ditches as well as be the first aircraft ever to cross the A9 with its wheels on the ground. The move will happen over three nights, beginning Tuesday, Feb. 5. The journey will be a glacial pace for the old girl compared to her normal 580mph cruise speed.
Tuesday, Feb. 5, 11pm to Wednesday, Feb. 6, 7am:
On Tuesday, Feb. 5, at 11pm the aircraft rolled on a self-propelled trailer of transport giant Mammoet, crossing Schiphol Airport. It left the airport site via the Zwanenburgbaan and was transported over the meadows toward the Sloterweg. The plane will remain in this position for the following two days.
Friday, Feb. 8, 12am to Saturday, Feb. 9, 4am: Crossing the A9
The most spectacular part of the transport is the crossing of highway A9. This will happen from the night of Friday, Feb. 8 to Saturday, Feb. 9. After that, the aircraft will follow its route toward the Corendon Village Hotel. This section of the A9 will be closed to traffic during the move.
Saturday, Feb. 9, 12am to Sunday, Feb. 10, 4am:
The aircraft will cross the Schipholweg during the night of Saturday to Sunday, Feb. 10 and take her place in the garden of the Corendon Village Hotel.
H/T: The Daily Mail
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.