A Former KLM 747 Will Reach Its Final Destination by Ground
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A former KLM queen of the skies, which was most recently painted in a Corendon Hotels livery, will make her final journey this week as she moves from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (AMS) to a nearby hotel. The plane, formerly known as “City of Bangkok” when it was flying with KLM, will be turned into what Corendon Hotels is calling a “Corendon Boeing 747 Experience.” The details of exactly what that is going to be have yet to be released, but it’s scheduled to open sometime in the middle of 2019.
The aircraft, which at one time was the oldest Boeing 747-400 in the sky, will reach her final destination without ever leaving the ground. The job of repositioning the newly retired queen to the hotel is a massive undertaking. The plane is set to traverse 17 ditches as well as be the first aircraft ever to cross the A9 with its wheels on the ground. The move will happen over three nights, beginning Tuesday, Feb. 5. The journey will be a glacial pace for the old girl compared to her normal 580mph cruise speed.
Tuesday, Feb. 5, 11pm to Wednesday, Feb. 6, 7am:
On Tuesday, Feb. 5, at 11pm the aircraft rolled on a self-propelled trailer of transport giant Mammoet, crossing Schiphol Airport. It left the airport site via the Zwanenburgbaan and was transported over the meadows toward the Sloterweg. The plane will remain in this position for the following two days.
Friday, Feb. 8, 12am to Saturday, Feb. 9, 4am: Crossing the A9
The most spectacular part of the transport is the crossing of highway A9. This will happen from the night of Friday, Feb. 8 to Saturday, Feb. 9. After that, the aircraft will follow its route toward the Corendon Village Hotel. This section of the A9 will be closed to traffic during the move.
Saturday, Feb. 9, 12am to Sunday, Feb. 10, 4am:
The aircraft will cross the Schipholweg during the night of Saturday to Sunday, Feb. 10 and take her place in the garden of the Corendon Village Hotel.
H/T: The Daily Mail
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees