This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Even after being acquired by IHG, Kimpton has worked to keep its playful and sociable boutique hotel feel. Although Kimpton, like any hotel, can be hit or miss during stays, the brand is generally well loved due to its atmosphere and uniqueness.
One unique promotion, which the brand has run multiple times before, involves unlocking a free gift by saying a particular phrase during check-in. Now, through February 17 you’ll get a special surprise if you can weave the phrase “chilled to perfection” into your check-in narrative.
But, some readers have reported that check-in agents seem confused about the phrase. So, be prepared to remind the check-in agent of the promotion or even just say something along the lines of “I saw on Twitter that the words ‘chilled to perfection’ will get me a special surprise at check-in” and get the manager involved if the check-in agent is still confused.
Guests have reported receiving various surprises through previous secret phrases. When Mommy Points and her family stayed at Kimpton’s Hotel Monaco Denver over the summer, the secret phrase gave them a spin of the prize wheel:
Readers and reports from FlyerTalk have noted various types of surprises this go around we asll. If the surprise you’re offered doesn’t work for you — like comped parking when you don’t have a car — you may be able to ask for a different surprise. The following surprises have been reported thus far:
- A bottle of wine
- Comped parking
- Branded coffee mug
- Two drinks at the on-site bar
- Doubled Raid the Bar credit
- Room upgrade
- $30 dining credit
- Breakfast vouchers
- Hot chocolate kit
- In-room movie
Plus, remember that Gold Elite, Platinum Elite and Spire Elite IHG Rewards Club members get a Raid the Bar credit. The easiest way to get IHG elite status is through the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, which provides Platinum Elite status. The card has an $89 annual fee, but the annual fee essentially pays for itself due to the annual free night benefit.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Featured photo of the lobby at the Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam by Eric Rosen / The Points Guy.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees