Kilauea Erupts From Summit, Launches Ash 30,000 Feet into Sky
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano saw yet another explosive eruption in the wee hours of Thursday morning local time.
The latest eruption occurred at Kilauea’s summit and spewed plumes of ash and smoke as high as 30,000 feet into the sky just after 4:00am local time. The continued ash emissions are reaching about 12,000 feet in the air, the US Geological Survey repots.
The initial explosion likely only lasted a few minutes, a USGS scientist told the AP, but was enough to create a huge new column of volcanic ash that loomed above the Big Island. Continuous seismic activity and new lava fissures have been forming since Kilauea, Hawaii’s most active volcano, initially erupted on May 3.
Nearby residents were reporting trace amounts of volcanic ash raining down.
USGS held its aviation alert level at code red — its highest warning level to pilots on the state of volcanic ash in the atmosphere. Kilauea’s column of smoke and dust could pose serious threats to planes in the area. “Volcanic ash clouds can threaten air traffic by sandblasting windscreens, clogging pitot tubes, and in severe cases, causing jet engines to shut down,” the USGS said in a statement.
United Airlines extended its existing Hawaii travel waiver through May 25. Hawaiian Airlines extended its waiver Wednesday after a similar release of ash warranted a red alert. At time of publication, none of the other airlines serving Hawaii had updated their travel waivers.
Scientists at USGS also warned that with the multiple ash explosions this week, there is an increased chance of “even larger steam-driven violent explosion,” the organization said in a statement Thursday. “Such an eruption could happen suddenly and send volcanic ash 20,000 feet into the air, threatening communities for miles.”
Featured image by Mario Tama/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees