Kilauea Erupts From Summit, Launches Ash 30,000 Feet into Sky
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano saw yet another explosive eruption in the wee hours of Thursday morning local time.
The latest eruption occurred at Kilauea’s summit and spewed plumes of ash and smoke as high as 30,000 feet into the sky just after 4:00am local time. The continued ash emissions are reaching about 12,000 feet in the air, the US Geological Survey repots.
The initial explosion likely only lasted a few minutes, a USGS scientist told the AP, but was enough to create a huge new column of volcanic ash that loomed above the Big Island. Continuous seismic activity and new lava fissures have been forming since Kilauea, Hawaii’s most active volcano, initially erupted on May 3.
Nearby residents were reporting trace amounts of volcanic ash raining down.
USGS held its aviation alert level at code red — its highest warning level to pilots on the state of volcanic ash in the atmosphere. Kilauea’s column of smoke and dust could pose serious threats to planes in the area. “Volcanic ash clouds can threaten air traffic by sandblasting windscreens, clogging pitot tubes, and in severe cases, causing jet engines to shut down,” the USGS said in a statement.
United Airlines extended its existing Hawaii travel waiver through May 25. Hawaiian Airlines extended its waiver Wednesday after a similar release of ash warranted a red alert. At time of publication, none of the other airlines serving Hawaii had updated their travel waivers.
Scientists at USGS also warned that with the multiple ash explosions this week, there is an increased chance of “even larger steam-driven violent explosion,” the organization said in a statement Thursday. “Such an eruption could happen suddenly and send volcanic ash 20,000 feet into the air, threatening communities for miles.”
Featured image by Mario Tama/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.