Kilauea Is Now Spitting Blue Flames as Airlines Extend Waivers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano is still erupting — and now its flames are changing colors.
Methane emanating from cracks in Kilauea’s lava flow is turning the flames a bright shade of blue. A video released from the US Geological Survey shows the blue flames flickering on top of the molten rock that has been oozing through the Leilani Estates subdivision on the Big Island.
The lava produces methane as it flows through wooded areas and burns plants and trees. “The methane gas will flow through the ground, through the cracks that are already existing, and will come up wherever there’s a place for them to come up,” Wendy Stovall, a scientist with the US Geological Survey, explained.
You can watch the video of the blue flames below:
Airlines serving Hawaii have extended their travel waivers for the area. Most waivers have been in effect since the volcano began erupting at the beginning of May. Here are the latest updates:
- Travel dates: May 7 – 25
- Airports covered: Kona, HI (KOA)
- Ticket must be reissued on or before: May 28
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: May 28
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond May 28, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance. Applicable change fee and fare difference will apply for new travel dates.
- Travel dates: May 5 – 28
- Airports covered: Hilo, Hawaii (ITO) and Kona, Hawaii (KOA)
- Must have purchased your ticket by May 5, 2018
- Rebooked travel can occur May 5 -28
- You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook In the same or cabin or pay the difference.
- Avoid the phone queue. Changes available on both AA’s website and in the AA app.
- Travel date: May 3 – 31
- Airport covered: Hilo Airport (ITO) ad Kona Airport (KOA).
- Must have purchased ticket on/before May 4
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than June 7
- In addition, for changes made to new flights on or before June 7, 2018, any resulting difference in fare(s) will be waived provided that change is made to the same compartment (i.e. Coach to Coach or First Class to First Class) and there is no change in origin and destination. For changes made to new flights after June 7, 2018, the change fee will be waived but applicable difference in fare will be collected.
- Changes to origin and/or destination or connecting/stopover point will be permitted without change fee and are subject to applicable fare difference.
- Travel date: May 16 – 25
- Airports covered: Hilo, HI (ITO) and Kailua-Kona, HI (KOA)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing between May 16, 2018 – May 25, 2018 as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
- For wholly rescheduled travel departing after May 25, 2018, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.
H/T: The AP via Time
Featured image by USGS.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.