Kilauea Is Now Spitting Blue Flames as Airlines Extend Waivers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano is still erupting — and now its flames are changing colors.
Methane emanating from cracks in Kilauea’s lava flow is turning the flames a bright shade of blue. A video released from the US Geological Survey shows the blue flames flickering on top of the molten rock that has been oozing through the Leilani Estates subdivision on the Big Island.
The lava produces methane as it flows through wooded areas and burns plants and trees. “The methane gas will flow through the ground, through the cracks that are already existing, and will come up wherever there’s a place for them to come up,” Wendy Stovall, a scientist with the US Geological Survey, explained.
You can watch the video of the blue flames below:
Airlines serving Hawaii have extended their travel waivers for the area. Most waivers have been in effect since the volcano began erupting at the beginning of May. Here are the latest updates:
- Travel dates: May 7 – 25
- Airports covered: Kona, HI (KOA)
- Ticket must be reissued on or before: May 28
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: May 28
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond May 28, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance. Applicable change fee and fare difference will apply for new travel dates.
- Travel dates: May 5 – 28
- Airports covered: Hilo, Hawaii (ITO) and Kona, Hawaii (KOA)
- Must have purchased your ticket by May 5, 2018
- Rebooked travel can occur May 5 -28
- You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook In the same or cabin or pay the difference.
- Avoid the phone queue. Changes available on both AA’s website and in the AA app.
- Travel date: May 3 – 31
- Airport covered: Hilo Airport (ITO) ad Kona Airport (KOA).
- Must have purchased ticket on/before May 4
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than June 7
- In addition, for changes made to new flights on or before June 7, 2018, any resulting difference in fare(s) will be waived provided that change is made to the same compartment (i.e. Coach to Coach or First Class to First Class) and there is no change in origin and destination. For changes made to new flights after June 7, 2018, the change fee will be waived but applicable difference in fare will be collected.
- Changes to origin and/or destination or connecting/stopover point will be permitted without change fee and are subject to applicable fare difference.
- Travel date: May 16 – 25
- Airports covered: Hilo, HI (ITO) and Kailua-Kona, HI (KOA)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing between May 16, 2018 – May 25, 2018 as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
- For wholly rescheduled travel departing after May 25, 2018, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.
H/T: The AP via Time
Featured image by USGS.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees