‘Journey From Hell’: BA Passengers Endure 3-Day Delay
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What’s worse than one overnight flight delay? Two. That’s the living nightmare more than 200 British Airways passengers heading to London Gatwick (LGW) endured when they were stranded in Orlando (MCO) and New York City (JFK) for almost three days.
The series of unfortunate events started on Thursday, Nov. 1, when BA Flight 2036 (which was flying from Orlando to Gatwick) was canceled after experiencing mechanical difficulties. Passengers were already aboard the aircraft for several hours when the decision to nix the flight entirely was made. While everyone was put in close-by hotels for the evening, the road ahead was long — as the airliner handed out a letter to passengers explaining that the technical defect has caused a 27-hour delay.
Passengers returned to MCO Friday night with the intentions of flying back on the original plane. However, they were greeted with another delay when weather caused a diversion for the plane carrying the spare parts and engineer sent to fix Flight 2036. Eventually, the aircraft departed for LGW after midnight, Saturday morning.
@British_Airways so this plane should have left MCO 7:25pm Thursday it is now 7:25pm Saturday and we find ourselves in JFK still not boarded. Constant examples of sheer incompetence and lies. @SkyNews @NBCNews #BA2036
— Tom Humphries (@th3s) November 3, 2018
Upon arrival, passengers were sent to BA’s Terminal 7, and the TSA questioned them on why the plane had been sent there. “It soon became apparent that no-one was expecting 400 people and their luggage to turn up at check-in,” said passenger Nick Harrison to The Independent. BA insisted that some passengers had obtained hotel rooms or been placed in the Concorde Lounge for the rest of the night, however, those who were aboard the flight claim differently on social media.
Eventually, the flight departed from New York to Gatwick for good on Saturday evening, 77-hours behind schedule. How’s that for a travel horror story?
Featured image by Stuart Bailey / British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees