This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) no longer ranks among the world’s top 20 busiest airports.
The airport, which is a major hub for international flights, was knocked out of the rankings by rapid passenger traffic growth in airports in Asia.
Two airports in Asia specifically saw significant growth in this year’s rankings, released Monday by Airports Council International. India’s Indira Ghandi International Airport in New Delhi (DEL) was the fastest-growing airport in the rankings, jumping from No. 22 last year to No. 16 in this year’s ranking with a 14% percent increase in passenger traffic.
Meanwhile, China’s Guangzhou Airport (CAN) was the list’s second-fastest growing airport by traffic, seeing a 10.3% increase in passengers during 2017.
Airports Council International, an industry group based in Montreal, looked at reports from 1,202 airports worldwide in 2017 to determine passenger traffic numbers. The list’s top-three spots were unchanged. Atlanta‘s Hartsfield-Jackson (ATL) locked in the No. 1 place on the list once again, followed by Beijing (PEK) and Dubai (DXB).
The report also said the airports on the list saw a combined 1.5 billion passengers in 2017, and their traffic collectively grew by 5.2%.
Both China and India will likely be among the world’s top-three aviation markets by 2020, ACI says, while the Asia Pacific market is on par to have more than 3.5 billion passengers by 2036, according to numbers from the International Air Transport Association.
Featured image by Rebecca Butala How/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees