JetBlue Offers Free Getaway to Jilted Bridesmaid
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Friday, Courtney Duffy — a bridesmaid who was asked “to relinquish” her wedding duties — tweeted to JetBlue for help with airfare fees after the bride dismissed Duffy from the wedding party.
“SOS @JetBlue,” Duffy said. “I am laughing and crying and must avoid this wedding at all costs.”
According to Duffy, reportedly an MBA student at Dartmouth Business School in New Hampshire, the bride even asked her to mail back the outfit (specifically, a jumpsuit) so another girl could take Duffy’s place at the wedding.
That same day, JetBlue answered Duffy’s cry for help.
‘Yikes!” JetBlue responded on Twitter. “Send us your confirmation code … We’re happy to go over [options] with you.”
Depending on when Duffy booked her ticket, the travel dates and the price of the ticket, JetBlue typically charges between $75 and $150 to change a ticket, plus the difference in fare.
“We can all understand the customer’s desire to get some distance from the situation,” JetBlue spokesperson Morgan Johnston told TPG in an e-mail. “On Friday, our team reached out [to Duffy] to offer to waive any cancellation fees and allow her to save that fare for a future flight.”
The following day, JetBlue made Duffy’s consolation prize even sweeter. “Hey Courtney, we’ve been thinking,” the airline tweeted Friday night. ” …When you’re ready to patch things up, we’d like to help make your old friendship feel like new. A future girls’ weekend is on us!”
Hey Courtney, we’ve been thinking. The jumpsuit may have been borrowed, but we’ll bring the (Jet)Blue. When you’re ready to patch things up, we’d like to help make your old friendship feel like new. A future girls’ weekend is on us!
— JetBlue Airways (@JetBlue) July 28, 2018
A complimentary vacation may not help the two girls revive their friendship, but for Courtney, it will hopefully soften the blow of being kicked out of a bridal party and asked to mail the jumpsuit across the country for the replacement bridesmaid.
One Twitter user suggested Duffy transfer the voucher to a beach location, “and send the bride a picture of you swimming in the ocean in the jumpsuit.”
Others agreed Courtney should be allowed to use the girlfriend getaway … with different girlfriends, and not the bride.
“Wow, did not expect this response — clearly the situation resonated,” Duffy responded on Saturday. “Thanks @JetBlue for providing the refund I was hoping for, and thanks to everyone else for chiming in with well wishes, humor and even devil’s advocacy.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.