JetBlue Offers Free Getaway to Jilted Bridesmaid
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Friday, Courtney Duffy — a bridesmaid who was asked “to relinquish” her wedding duties — tweeted to JetBlue for help with airfare fees after the bride dismissed Duffy from the wedding party.
“SOS @JetBlue,” Duffy said. “I am laughing and crying and must avoid this wedding at all costs.”
According to Duffy, reportedly an MBA student at Dartmouth Business School in New Hampshire, the bride even asked her to mail back the outfit (specifically, a jumpsuit) so another girl could take Duffy’s place at the wedding.
That same day, JetBlue answered Duffy’s cry for help.
‘Yikes!” JetBlue responded on Twitter. “Send us your confirmation code … We’re happy to go over [options] with you.”
Depending on when Duffy booked her ticket, the travel dates and the price of the ticket, JetBlue typically charges between $75 and $150 to change a ticket, plus the difference in fare.
“We can all understand the customer’s desire to get some distance from the situation,” JetBlue spokesperson Morgan Johnston told TPG in an e-mail. “On Friday, our team reached out [to Duffy] to offer to waive any cancellation fees and allow her to save that fare for a future flight.”
The following day, JetBlue made Duffy’s consolation prize even sweeter. “Hey Courtney, we’ve been thinking,” the airline tweeted Friday night. ” …When you’re ready to patch things up, we’d like to help make your old friendship feel like new. A future girls’ weekend is on us!”
Hey Courtney, we’ve been thinking. The jumpsuit may have been borrowed, but we’ll bring the (Jet)Blue. When you’re ready to patch things up, we’d like to help make your old friendship feel like new. A future girls’ weekend is on us!
— JetBlue Airways (@JetBlue) July 28, 2018
A complimentary vacation may not help the two girls revive their friendship, but for Courtney, it will hopefully soften the blow of being kicked out of a bridal party and asked to mail the jumpsuit across the country for the replacement bridesmaid.
One Twitter user suggested Duffy transfer the voucher to a beach location, “and send the bride a picture of you swimming in the ocean in the jumpsuit.”
Others agreed Courtney should be allowed to use the girlfriend getaway … with different girlfriends, and not the bride.
“Wow, did not expect this response — clearly the situation resonated,” Duffy responded on Saturday. “Thanks @JetBlue for providing the refund I was hoping for, and thanks to everyone else for chiming in with well wishes, humor and even devil’s advocacy.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees