JetBlue Vows to Reduce Noise From Its Airbus Fleet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue planes are about to get a lot quieter.
Boston Logan’s largest airline will install noise-reducing vortex generators on its full fleet of Airbus aircraft by 2021, the carrier announced earlier this week. JetBlue planes currently account for one out of every four flights landing or departing from Boston Logan (BOS).
Airplanes are noisy to begin with; the Federal Aviation Administration’s No. 1 complaint is due to overhead aircraft noise, according to NASA. But the Airbus A318s, A319s A320s and A321s notoriously make an additional wailing whine during descent. The sound is due to air rushing over circular vent holes on the underside of the plane wings, adding between 2-11 dB of noise on top of the engine roar, beginning anywhere from 7-30 miles outside the destination airport. The vortex generators disrupt the flow of wind over the wing’s air vents, which prevents the high-pitched wail.
JetBlue has 130 A320s and eight A321s that are scheduled to receive the noise-reducing devices during scheduled major maintenance over the next three years, at an estimated cost of less than $1 million. JetBlue’s Airbus aircraft received in 2015 or later came with the vortex generators already installed.
Featured photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees