JetBlue Pilots New Flight Delay Program for Mosaic Members, Plus More Changes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue is piloting a new program for its Mosaic members who are on delayed flights. If a flight has a posted delay of two or more hours, JetBlue will give the Mosaic member (and anyone else on the same itinerary) a meal voucher and complimentary Even More Space seats.
Free Meals and Extra Legroom Seats
As a Mosaic member myself, I received an email with the news the night before a flight I was scheduled to take. The details were slim, but I was glad that JetBlue had my back in case of a flight delay. With JetBlue’s high rates of delays (and cancellations), this program may be useful for more members than one might expect.
According to blogger and TPG contributor Seth Miller, the program is a trial that will end around Labor Day with the possibility of getting extended based on feedback. He also notes that this program applies regardless of the nature of the delay.
The program is in addition to the JetBlue Bill of Rights, which give passengers varying amounts of compensation when flights are delayed by 3+ hours (weather and other uncontrollable events excluded).
The email didn’t specify the details of the meal voucher that you’d receive, other than saying that the vouchers are subject to availability.
While complimentary Even More Space seats sound good in theory, most flights these days are going out full, with many passengers pre-assigning these extra legroom seats. Mosaic passengers can also use their TrueBlue points for these seats at fantastic rates (often 10+ cents per point value), so it may not make sense to wait for a flight delay to secure your Even More Space seat.
Changes to Multi-Passenger Bookings
In other news, JetBlue has seemingly changed its policy for flight changes when a Mosaic member is traveling with other passengers. In the past, if a Mosaic member were to only cancel his or her ticket (and leave the remaining travelers on the same itinerary), any previous flight changes or Even More Space seats would remain for the other passengers.
Through multiple tests, JetBlue is now retroactively charging any applicable change fees (same-day change fee included), as well as Even More Space seat fees when a Mosaic member cancels only their reservation and keeps the other passengers on the same record.
Kudos to JetBlue for taking care of their elite members during flight delays. While the promise of free extra legroom seating may not come true based on standby availability, at least you’ll still get a free meal. After all, who doesn’t want a free meal?
The changes to multi-passenger bookings certainly sting, and you’ll definitely want to be aware of this if you’re traveling with a Mosaic member who often changes their plans.
Featured Photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.