JetBlue Files Lawsuit Against Walmart Over Its ‘Jetblack’ Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue has filed a lawsuit against Walmart claiming that the retail giant’s online shopping service “Jetblack” oversteps the carrier’s trademark, The Associated Press reported today.
Walmart launched Jetblack, a text-based shopping assistant, in 2018 primarily as a service for busy parents. According to Reuters, JetBlue has claimed that Walmart has plans to use names like Jetsilver and Jetgold to expand into the travel and transportation sectors, among other areas. In the complaint, the airline claimed that this expansion would cause “significant consumer confusion” should these services launch.
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
The carrier is requesting a judge stop Walmart from using Jetblack as the name for its service. Jet.com, another shopping service Walmart purchased in 2016, is also listed as a defendant in the case. Beyond blocking the use of the name, JetBlue has not disclosed what compensation or punitive damages it is seeking.
“We take this issue seriously, and once we are served with the complaint, we will respond appropriately with the court,” Walmart spokesman Randy Hargrove said in a statement to TPG.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees