JetBlue Files Lawsuit Against Walmart Over Its ‘Jetblack’ Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue has filed a lawsuit against Walmart claiming that the retail giant’s online shopping service “Jetblack” oversteps the carrier’s trademark, The Associated Press reported today.
Walmart launched Jetblack, a text-based shopping assistant, in 2018 primarily as a service for busy parents. According to Reuters, JetBlue has claimed that Walmart has plans to use names like Jetsilver and Jetgold to expand into the travel and transportation sectors, among other areas. In the complaint, the airline claimed that this expansion would cause “significant consumer confusion” should these services launch.
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
The carrier is requesting a judge stop Walmart from using Jetblack as the name for its service. Jet.com, another shopping service Walmart purchased in 2016, is also listed as a defendant in the case. Beyond blocking the use of the name, JetBlue has not disclosed what compensation or punitive damages it is seeking.
“We take this issue seriously, and once we are served with the complaint, we will respond appropriately with the court,” Walmart spokesman Randy Hargrove said in a statement to TPG.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.