JetBlue is testing a $5 checked carry-on fee — and it’s causing a big debate
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue, apparently, wants to see if travelers would like to pay even more bag fees.
According to Paxex.aero, the airline has launched a trial at Orlando (MCO) that will allow travelers to pay $5 for the privilege of checking carry on-size bags at the counter — because why take your bag with you on the plane for free, when you could pay more to pick it up after your flight at baggage claim?
When asked about the trial, a spokesperson for JetBlue told TPG in an email, “In an effort to streamline the travel experience, we hope customers will enjoy carrying fewer bags through security and a quicker boarding process at the gate.” The airline also noted that “customers are more than welcome to continue to check bags at the gate for free and this new trial is completely optional.”
We decided to poll some of the most frequent flyers we know, to find out how they feel about the $5 fee. We’re talking about the TPG Lounge, of course — our dedicated Facebook community with more than 70,000 members and growing. (If you’re not in it, you’re missing out.)
Many Lounge members actually agreed with JetBlue, saying that decreasing the number of carry-on bags could expedite both security and boarding.
TPG reader Matt K. said that, contrary to the norm, “Carry-ons should have a fee. Checked bags should be free.”
Michael S. had a similar sentiment. He said, “I hate carrying anything on the plane, it delays boarding and causes issues. The most I bring is a backpack.”
But ask Vetisha M., and she’s on the other side of the issue. To her, “[JetBlue] is just charging for something that used to be free. And Matthew D. is in the same camp. “Nickel and dime make people pissed. Make it $25 or zero,” he said.
JetBlue currently charges $30 for your first bag if you purchase a Blue fare; it’s included with all other fares. In theory, this could be a way to secure a lower checked baggage fee, and is certainly a pro for people who want to pack bigger toiletries without paying so much more. (Just can’t leave home without a full-size bottle of shampoo? This could be the answer for you.)
Then, of course, there’s Gloria L., who suggested: “Just become Mosaic. Then you don’t have to worry about bag fees at all.”
Well, that solves that problem.
Featured image by Zach Griff/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees