This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue awards are currently on sale. Through this Wednesday, August 29, you can save 20% on select redemptions for travel this fall.
In order to be eligible, you’ll need to book a one-way or round-trip award ticket for travel between September 17 and November 6, 2018, excluding October 8 and any Friday or Sunday flights. Mint awards aren’t eligible for the discount, unfortunately.
While rates fluctuate a bit, with the discount applied to the example below, you’ll effectively be getting 1.8 cents in value per TrueBlue point redeemed, rather than the 1.4 cents in value you’ll normally receive.
The same flight will run you $79, for example, including the $5.60 security fee.
This sale could potentially make a credit card transfer more worthwhile — in the case of Ultimate Rewards, Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders will be getting more value per point when transferring to JetBlue and booking with the 20% award discount, rather than directly through Chase at a rate of 1.5 cents per point, though you won’t be earning points on TrueBlue awards.
There’s a slightly more appealing alternative to consider, though. For a limited time, Amex is offering an elevated transfer rate of 250 Membership Rewards points to 250 TrueBlue points, and since points transfer instantly there as well and we value Amex points a bit lower than Chase points, I’d transfer from Membership Rewards, instead.
You can also boost your balance with instant transfers from Citi’s ThankYou program, however with a rate of 5:4, that isn’t your best bet right now.
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards