JetBlue will deploy the Airbus A220 on 4 more highly competitive routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue is expanding the footprint of its newest jet, the Airbus A220.
Over the weekend, the New York-based carrier filed four new routes for the A220, three of which break from the previous strategy of sending the plane to Florida.
Specifically, Cirium schedules show that the four new routes include the following from Sept. 8 through Oct. 30.
|Boston (BOS)||Austin (AUS)|
|Boston (BOS)||Fort Myers, Florida (RSW)|
|Boston (BOS)||Nashville (BNA)|
|Boston (BOS)||New York LaGuardia (LGA)|
Before the latest update, the A220 was exclusively scheduled on flights from Boston (BOS) to three Florida cities: Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Orlando (MCO) and Tampa (TPA).
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
While the plane will continue to be based in JetBlue’s Boston focus city, the carrier is expanding the A220’s footprint to three cities that face increased competition — Austin, Nashville and New York.
As for Nashville, the competition was heating up there at the outset of the pandemic, with Southwest growing its presence with a new terminal concourse and Delta operating a focus city there (which has since been scrapped).
Finally, the shuttle service between Boston and the New York area has long been a hotly contested market across nearly every major U.S. carrier, including American, Delta, JetBlue and United.
By deploying the A220 to the aforementioned cities, JetBlue can offer a more advanced onboard product than its competitors. The carrier’s Airbus A220-300 is outfitted with 140 seats in a 2-3 configuration, with updated high-definition seat-back entertainment, free Wi-Fi, power outlets, USB ports and more.
With 70 A220s on order, this new fleet type is slated to replace JetBlue’s aging Embraer 190 fleet. The aircraft has 40 more seats than the E190s, but it’s significantly more economical — it boasts 30% lower operating costs per seat, and it’s more fuel-efficient, too.
As for what’s next for the A220, JetBlue says that more regional and perhaps even transcon markets are coming.
At the gate celebration for the A220’s inaugural flight on April 26, Ursula Hurley, JetBlue’s head of treasury and investor relations said that “we’re very confident that this aircraft type will open the door for us to eventually serve a wide mix of new and exiting markets.”
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees