Jet fuel shortages could lead to long delays at western US airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I had a phenomenal trip to Montana earlier this year, including two uneventful flights through Bozeman Airport, a regional hub seeing a flurry of additional activity in recent months. Over the past few weeks, however, the experience hasn’t been nearly as seamless for some flyers — in Bozeman and beyond.
The challenge? A shortage of jet fuel, leading airlines to cancel or delay some flights. According to the Associated Press, an increase in demand from aircraft used to fight wildfires, paired with a jump in commercial flights led to the shortage at Bozeman (BZN). The airport confirmed the issues on its Twitter page, as well.
Montana isn’t the only state having trouble meeting the growing demand for jet fuel, however. According to the same AP report, California’s Fresno Yosemite International Airport (FAT) has also seen an impact — in that case, a shortage of tanker truck drivers is to blame.
Reno-Tahoe International Airport (RNO) is also being impacted, according to another AP report. On Saturday, Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak released a statement, in cooperation with other state politicians:
“We learned earlier this week of potential jet fuel shortages that could delay cargo delivery and passenger travel at Reno-Tahoe International Airport in coming days. Governor Sisolak, Senator Cortez Masto, Senator Rosen and Congressman Amodei have been working together to triage the situation to avoid and minimize disruption for passengers and ensure critical operations, including the delivery of essential goods into the State.”
The fuel supply issue appears to be impacting airports beyond the western states mentioned above, too. In an internal memo obtained by CNBC, American Airlines noted that other airports could face shortages, and the problem could continue through the middle of next month.
“American Airlines station jet fuel delivery delays initially affected mostly western U.S. cities, but are now being reported at American stations across the country. Delivery delays are expected to continue through mid-August,” the airline wrote in the memo.
While some flights have been impacted, others continue to operate on schedule — including many of the commercial flights flying through Bozeman, Fresno and Reno today. Still, if you’re traveling within the U.S. over the next few weeks, be sure to pay close attention to your flight status, even if you aren’t expecting any inclement weather.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees