Jeff Bezos’ Rocket Company Says You Can Buy Tickets to Space in 2019
We’ve heard the buzz that space travel for the general public is coming sooner than expected, and lately it’s been feeling pretty real. Jeff Bezos’ rocket company, Blue Origin, says it will soon be selling tickets to space – as early as 2019.
The company will offer suborbital flights on its New Shepard rocket, which was introduced in 2015. Although the rocket has been tested several times since its conception, it will be tested with humans on board “soon,” according to Blue Origin Senior Vice President Rob Meyerson.
“We expect to start selling tickets in 2019,” Meyerson said last week at the Amazon Web Services Public Sector Summit in Washington, DC, according to Quartz.
There’s still no price tag for the flight as of right now, but we’re assuming the cost will be a little out of this world, considering what competitors are projecting. SpaceX, Elon Musk’s company, is hinting at tens of millions of dollars for the experience of a lifetime. Don’t worry though, that cost includes variables beyond just a seat on a rocket (i.e., training, emergency services and air, to name a few).
Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic, which he says is about two or three tests away from flying its first passengers to space, will be a little bit more affordable at an estimated $250,000 per ticket.
Regardless of the steep projected price to hop on a rocket out of the planet, the industry is getting ready for space tourists. The first luxury hotel in outer space is said to be opening in 2022, and you probably guessed correctly that it won’t be cheap either.
Featured image by Blue Origin.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees