Tokyo Might Lose Its Title as the World’s Most Populous City by 2030
Look out Tokyo, Jakarta is coming for you.
As predicted by Euromonitor International, a market research company, Jakarta will steal the crown for the most populous city from Tokyo by 2030.
Since 1950, Tokyo has held the top spot for the biggest city, currently with 9.2 million residents. Experts attribute the potential population drop in future years to the rapid rate of aging in Japan. The decrease in birth rate in 2017 may also play a part in the shrinking Japanese population, as deaths outnumbered births by over 300,000.
Jakarta, on the other hand, is reported to grow by 4.1 million people by 2030, placing the Indonesian capital at the top spot with a whopping 35.9 million. The city already has a reputation for its crowding at its present population, and is known for having what some have called “the world’s worst traffic.” However, driving alternatives are beginning to gain momentum with an increase in bicycle and motorcycle use in the past few years.
Jakarta and Tokyo are both considered “megacities,” which usually contain a population of more than 10 million residents. They’re joined by the likes of Chicago, Karachi, Manila, Cairo and Lagos in Nigeria, which was predicted by another study to be the world’s biggest city by 2100 with a predicted 100 million population.
Featured image by Bay Ismoyo/AFP via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.