It’s Tea Time — Virgin Atlantic to Introduce Afternoon Tea on Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s tea time on Virgin Atlantic!
The British airline announced Thursday that it will be joining forces with master pâtissier Eric Lanlard and will be serving high tea at 38,000 feet. Afternoon tea will launch at the London Heathrow Clubhouse in April, followed by service on upper-class, premium and economy cabins on all flights beginning in summer 2018.
Together, Virgin Atlantic and Lanlard have created a menu that will initially be offered at the clubhouse between 3:00 and 5:30pm. Passengers can choose between a pot of tea or Lanson rose champagne as well as an assortment of the following:
- Prosciutto, sun-blushed tomato and rocket on a stone baked Campagne brown roll
- Smoked salmon, cream cheese and dill mint mini croissant
- Broccoli, goat’s cheese and cress savoury tart
- Homemade plain and sultana scones with strawberry preserve, lemon and clotted cream
- Eton mess verrine with strawberry coulis
- Apple and blackberry cake
- Dark chocolate brownie with salted caramel sauce
Beginning this summer, passengers flying during the day will be able to enjoy tea with handmade sandwiches, scones and an assortment of macarons.
“We’re excited to work with Eric Lanlard and introduce a fresh take on afternoon tea to our Heathrow Clubhouse from April, and onboard our flights from late summer,” Daniel Kerzner, vice president of customer experience, said in a press release. “It’s the first time that Eric has partnered with an airline, and I think our customers are going to love it.”
Lanlard will travel on a special test flight later this month for a trial run of the afternoon tea that will be served on board. “I am very excited about this new partnership and can’t wait to combine my passion for baking with air travel,” Lanlard said in the press release.
Virgin Atlantic is known for its dining amenities offered to customers. Earlier this year, the airline’s JFK clubhouse made TPG‘s list of where to find the best food in domestic airport lounges, and it has even encouraged its passengers to “steal” its collectible salt and pepper shakers. In February and into March, VA allowed lucky passengers to spend the night in its super-exclusive clubhouse complete with a personal butler and three-course meal.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees