It’s Tea Time — Virgin Atlantic to Introduce Afternoon Tea on Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s tea time on Virgin Atlantic!
The British airline announced Thursday that it will be joining forces with master pâtissier Eric Lanlard and will be serving high tea at 38,000 feet. Afternoon tea will launch at the London Heathrow Clubhouse in April, followed by service on upper-class, premium and economy cabins on all flights beginning in summer 2018.
Together, Virgin Atlantic and Lanlard have created a menu that will initially be offered at the clubhouse between 3:00 and 5:30pm. Passengers can choose between a pot of tea or Lanson rose champagne as well as an assortment of the following:
- Prosciutto, sun-blushed tomato and rocket on a stone baked Campagne brown roll
- Smoked salmon, cream cheese and dill mint mini croissant
- Broccoli, goat’s cheese and cress savoury tart
- Homemade plain and sultana scones with strawberry preserve, lemon and clotted cream
- Eton mess verrine with strawberry coulis
- Apple and blackberry cake
- Dark chocolate brownie with salted caramel sauce
Beginning this summer, passengers flying during the day will be able to enjoy tea with handmade sandwiches, scones and an assortment of macarons.
“We’re excited to work with Eric Lanlard and introduce a fresh take on afternoon tea to our Heathrow Clubhouse from April, and onboard our flights from late summer,” Daniel Kerzner, vice president of customer experience, said in a press release. “It’s the first time that Eric has partnered with an airline, and I think our customers are going to love it.”
Lanlard will travel on a special test flight later this month for a trial run of the afternoon tea that will be served on board. “I am very excited about this new partnership and can’t wait to combine my passion for baking with air travel,” Lanlard said in the press release.
Virgin Atlantic is known for its dining amenities offered to customers. Earlier this year, the airline’s JFK clubhouse made TPG‘s list of where to find the best food in domestic airport lounges, and it has even encouraged its passengers to “steal” its collectible salt and pepper shakers. In February and into March, VA allowed lucky passengers to spend the night in its super-exclusive clubhouse complete with a personal butler and three-course meal.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.