Buying Knockoff Goods in Italy Could Cost You Thousands
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Buyer beware: Tourists trying to save a few dollars purchasing knockoff souvenirs along Italy’s beaches could end up with fines that cost them dearly.
New penalties, which are being pushed by an Italian trade lobby called Confesercenti, are expected to be in place by the end of June for an existing law that makes it illegal to purchase counterfeit goods. The fines for shoppers who get caught can be up to €7,000, or $8,194. The vendors, many of whom are migrants, would be hit with even steeper fines ($3,000-$18,000).
The point of this so-called “safe beaches” law is to stop illegal traders from selling their goods, and “bags, clothes, shoes and accessories” specifically are being targeted. According to an article from Lonely Planet, “the black market trade in the tourism sector is a €22 billion ($25.75 billion) industry, causing the Italian government to lose €11.5 billion ($13.4 billion) in tax annually.”
Newly-appointed Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Interior Matteo Salvini believes cracking down on these illegal vendors will protect legitimate businesses and cut down on tax evasion.
H/T: Lonely Planet
Photo by Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.