This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Buyer beware: Tourists trying to save a few dollars purchasing knockoff souvenirs along Italy’s beaches could end up with fines that cost them dearly.
New penalties, which are being pushed by an Italian trade lobby called Confesercenti, are expected to be in place by the end of June for an existing law that makes it illegal to purchase counterfeit goods. The fines for shoppers who get caught can be up to €7,000, or $8,194. The vendors, many of whom are migrants, would be hit with even steeper fines ($3,000-$18,000).
The point of this so-called “safe beaches” law is to stop illegal traders from selling their goods, and “bags, clothes, shoes and accessories” specifically are being targeted. According to an article from Lonely Planet, “the black market trade in the tourism sector is a €22 billion ($25.75 billion) industry, causing the Italian government to lose €11.5 billion ($13.4 billion) in tax annually.”
Newly-appointed Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Interior Matteo Salvini believes cracking down on these illegal vendors will protect legitimate businesses and cut down on tax evasion.
H/T: Lonely Planet
Photo by Shutterstock.com
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards