Istanbul’s New Gigantic Airport Will Now Open April 5
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After a series of date changes, soft openings and delays, Istanbul’s enormous new airport (ISL) says it will be finally ready to launch into full, operating capacity on April 5, 2019.
The 1.47 million-square-meter airport has experienced quite a few setbacks in its journey to opening day. Originally set to debut on Oct. 29, 2018, the date in which operations from Istanbul Atatürk Airport (IST) would transition to ISL was nudged forward to Dec. 1, 2018. Yet, as it happens with many other large construction projects, delays persisted— and the opening date was once again moved to March 3, 2019. Since the soft launch in October, ISL has been operating a few domestic and regional routes.
April 5 is the most recent (and hopefully, the last) date set for airport transitions. However, Airline Geeks reports that there will be a bit of a two-day awkward stage as operations shift from IST to ISL. Passengers traveling on April 5-7 should be wary of potential delays and cancellations, as only 70 flights will be able to land and depart at the airport per hour —10 less than the usual.
When all is said and done on April 7, IST will only run small charter, government and cargo flights and ISL will take over as Turkey’s largest airport.
According to ISL airport operator, Istanbul Grand Airport (IGA), the mammoth airport will be able to accommodate around 90 million passengers a year. Flights will be operated mostly by Turkish Airlines, and when completely adapted ISL plans to offer flights to more than 350 destinations worldwide. But they plan on only growing from there.
With the addition of more terminals, the airport will be able to host up to 200 million passengers a year — that’s double what Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), the current busiest airport in the world, sees annually. Currently, developers are hoping to see this vision come to fruition by 2023.
Featured image by Arif Hudaverdi Yaman/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees