Istanbul’s New Gigantic Airport Will Now Open April 5
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After a series of date changes, soft openings and delays, Istanbul’s enormous new airport (ISL) says it will be finally ready to launch into full, operating capacity on April 5, 2019.
The 1.47 million-square-meter airport has experienced quite a few setbacks in its journey to opening day. Originally set to debut on Oct. 29, 2018, the date in which operations from Istanbul Atatürk Airport (IST) would transition to ISL was nudged forward to Dec. 1, 2018. Yet, as it happens with many other large construction projects, delays persisted— and the opening date was once again moved to March 3, 2019. Since the soft launch in October, ISL has been operating a few domestic and regional routes.
April 5 is the most recent (and hopefully, the last) date set for airport transitions. However, Airline Geeks reports that there will be a bit of a two-day awkward stage as operations shift from IST to ISL. Passengers traveling on April 5-7 should be wary of potential delays and cancellations, as only 70 flights will be able to land and depart at the airport per hour —10 less than the usual.
When all is said and done on April 7, IST will only run small charter, government and cargo flights and ISL will take over as Turkey’s largest airport.
According to ISL airport operator, Istanbul Grand Airport (IGA), the mammoth airport will be able to accommodate around 90 million passengers a year. Flights will be operated mostly by Turkish Airlines, and when completely adapted ISL plans to offer flights to more than 350 destinations worldwide. But they plan on only growing from there.
With the addition of more terminals, the airport will be able to host up to 200 million passengers a year — that’s double what Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), the current busiest airport in the world, sees annually. Currently, developers are hoping to see this vision come to fruition by 2023.
Featured image by Arif Hudaverdi Yaman/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.