This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a sudden but not unexpected move, the opening of Istanbul New Airport has been delayed yet again. According to Turkish news agency T24, the airport, which was most recently supposed to open at the end of December 2018, will now open in March 2019.
The decision to postpone the airport opening was made at a meeting on Tuesday with Turkey’s Minter of Transport and Infrastructure. Also present were airport officials. All of whom chose to delay the opening until March — a decision that took about two hours.
Istanbul New Airport is open at this time, though with only a few domestic and regional routes that have been operating since its October 2018 soft launch. On Dec. 30, 2018, the new airport, which is currently operating under the IATA code “ISL,” was supposed to take over all Istanbul operations, and the “IST” code from Istanbul Ataturk Airport.
The airport’s soft opening came after just 42 months of construction, however, as of October, there was still plenty of construction ongoing.
All images by the author.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards