Israel will close to visitors for 2 weeks in response to Omicron
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Israel is closing to non-citizen international travelers for two weeks and reinstating its quarantine rules. The move comes as the country tries to contain the Omicron variant of the COVID-19 virus.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
The ban takes effect on Sunday night and applies to visitors from any country. This makes Israel the first country to completely shut its borders in response to the new variant. Prime Minister Naftali Bennett made the decision on Nov. 26 during a meeting of the coronavirus cabinet.
In addition to the closure of Ben Gurion airport to foreigners for two weeks, Israelis who arrive from abroad will have to go through mandatory quarantine for three days, according to the Times of Israel. Those coming from countries in the “red” category (which includes most of Africa) must quarantine in designated hotels pending a negative virus test.
In a statement, the Prime Minister added that the Shin Bet domestic security agency’s phone-tracking technology will help to locate carriers of the new variant.
According to Israel’s Health Ministry, there are seven suspected cases and one confirmed case of infection with the Omicron variant in Israel as of Nov. 27.
Israel has joined several countries that have banned visitors from much of Africa in the past few days. Omicron was first identified in South Africa on Nov. 24, and is identified as a “variant of concern” by the World Health Organization.
This is a developing story that will be updated.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees