This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Airlines has added a new way for flyers to redeem their SkyMiles. Now, SkyMiles members can “cash out” their miles for Delta gift cards.
Below are the miles needed to redeem for a gift card. Unfortunately, there’s only five different redemption levels, so you’ll need a certain number of miles to redeem.
|Gift Card Value||Miles Needed|
So, is this worth it? Definitely not. These redemptions value SkyMiles at a meager .7 cents apiece. TPG values them at 1.2 cents a pop.
Additionally, if you’re a Delta co-brand credit card holder, you can get at least 1 cent per mile in value when using Delta’s “Pay With Miles” program. When using “Pay With Miles” you have to redeem in increments of 5,000 miles apiece for $50 toward the cost of the ticket, but you’ll be able to earn MQMs for the flight — although not MQDs or redeemable miles. Granted, if you used a Delta gift card for a flight, you’d earn MQMs, MQDs and redeemable miles.
Note that these are physical gift cards, too, and you’ll have to pay cash if you want an e-gift card.
Unless you really want a gift card, it’s definitely a better deal to redeem your miles directly for flights or by using “Pay With Miles,” especially considering the trend of SkyMiles being worth more and more these days.
H/T: Laptop Travel
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards