Lufthansa flying its Boeing 747, Airbus A350 on select intra-Europe routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s something you don’t see often: Lufthansa plans to fly its Boeing 747-8 and Airbus A350 wide-body aircraft on two short-haul routes this summer.
As reported by Paddle Your Own Kanoo, the German airline’s 364-seat 747-8 will fly between Frankfurt (FRA) and Mallorca (PMI) on four Saturdays between mid-July and early August, which are typically peak times for European leisure travel.
We rarely see planes this large fly intra-Europe. This route is typically operated by an A320, so the upgrade signals a surge in demand for European leisure travel this summer as lockdown measures loosen and borders reopen.
Stay up-to-date on airline and aviation news by signing up for our brand-new aviation newsletter.
You can also select some premium economy seats without paying an extra fee. That said, I was not able to select a first-class seat on a business class booking. These may be saved for Lufthansa HON Circle elites.
Further, Lufthansa is also flying its newest plane — its Airbus A350-900 — from Munich (MUC) to Mallorca as a one-off service on July 31. This represents a huge upgrade from the A320 that normally operates this route. This A350 is equipped with proper international business class and premium economy seats, so it’s sure to provide a more comfortable ride.
Pricing and award space
Most flights on the Frankfurt to Mallorca route start at around $225 one-way on the 747-operated flight in economy class this summer. The cheapest business class ticket I found on this route was $381 one-way, which may be worthwhile if you’re based in Europe and want to sample Lufthansa’s lie-flat business class.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find saver award space on this route.
It’s really cool to see Lufthansa bring two of its best airplanes to intra-Europe routes this summer. To me, it’s a sign that European travel demand is picking back up as the coronavirus pandemic subsides around the region.
If you’re an AV geek flying from the U.S. or U.K. to Mallorca this summer, you may want to route your flights through Frankfurt or Munich. This is a special opportunity to fly the Queen of The Skies on a very nontraditional route.
Feature photo by Lukas Wunderlich/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.