British Airways Pilot With Blood Alcohol Level 4x Limit Charged in England
A British Airways pilot was arrested in the cockpit of a Boeing 777 aircraft for having a blood alcohol level that was four times the limit for pilots. The arrest happened in January, but reports surfaced Thursday that the pilot was charged.
When Julian Monaghan, the 49-year-old pilot, boarded BA Flight 2063 at London’s Gatwick Airport (LGW) on January 18, the cabin crew noticed he smelled of alcohol and called the authorities before the plane left the gate. Police arrested Monaghan in the cockpit and escorted him off the aircraft in handcuffs.
The flight, which was heading from LGW to Mauritius (MRU), was delayed more than two hours because of the arrest. The route is a 12-hour flight, and the Boeing 777 was holding 300 passengers, reports say.
“We have taken this matter extremely seriously, and will continue to assist the police with their inquiries,” an airline spokesperson told The Daily Mail. “The safety and security of our customers and crew is always our top priority.”
Monaghan had been a pilot with British Airways since 2001. An airline spokesperson said that he no longer works for the airline. He will appear in court in England on June 6.
Featured image by Nick Morrish/British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.