British Airways Pilot With Blood Alcohol Level 4x Limit Charged in England
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A British Airways pilot was arrested in the cockpit of a Boeing 777 aircraft for having a blood alcohol level that was four times the limit for pilots. The arrest happened in January, but reports surfaced Thursday that the pilot was charged.
When Julian Monaghan, the 49-year-old pilot, boarded BA Flight 2063 at London’s Gatwick Airport (LGW) on January 18, the cabin crew noticed he smelled of alcohol and called the authorities before the plane left the gate. Police arrested Monaghan in the cockpit and escorted him off the aircraft in handcuffs.
The flight, which was heading from LGW to Mauritius (MRU), was delayed more than two hours because of the arrest. The route is a 12-hour flight, and the Boeing 777 was holding 300 passengers, reports say.
“We have taken this matter extremely seriously, and will continue to assist the police with their inquiries,” an airline spokesperson told The Daily Mail. “The safety and security of our customers and crew is always our top priority.”
Monaghan had been a pilot with British Airways since 2001. An airline spokesperson said that he no longer works for the airline. He will appear in court in England on June 6.
Featured image by Nick Morrish/British Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees