India Opens a Breathtaking New Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
India revealed its 100th airport this week, and it might be the world’s most beautiful runway yet.
India’s new Pakyong Airport (PYG) sits 4,593 feet high in the Himalayan mountains and will serve Sikkim, a northeast state in India with breathtaking landscapes. The airport was a multimillion dollar project, has a 1.7 kilometer-long and 30-meter-wide runway surrounded by deep valleys. The terminal can accommodate up to 100 people, according to CNN.
“This airport was built at a cost of $68.7 million and showcases our engineers, workers and their potential — how the mountains were cleared, the ditch was filled, the heavy rains they dealt with. This is truly an amazing feat of engineering,” India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi said during a speech at Pakyong’s opening ceremony on Monday.
View this post on Instagram
India’s 100th Airport and first airport of Sikkim at Pakyong is a example of stunning engineering marvel that is so scenic and it is truly heavenly. #pakyong #airport #sikkim #sikkimtourism #northeast #india #incredibleindia #sunset #sunset_pics #runway #aviation #aviationlovers #indiaphotosociety #india_gram #india_clicks #indiatravelgram #india_ig #ig_sunsets #ig_captures #ig_today #imazinindia #architecturephotography #architecturelovers #airportdesign #airportphotography #airportterminal #airportscenes #instaarchitecture #instadesign
A post shared by Rajiv Srivastava (@rajiv_srivastava) on
View this post on Instagram
Serene and splendid!
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) September 23, 2018
SpiceJet, one of India’s largest low-cost carriers, will be the only Indian airline providing air connectivity from Sikkim to the rest of the country — an area the airline says is an un-served market. Pakyong will be the carrier’s ninth destination under the regional regional connectivity scheme UDAN. The airline will operate daily flights to and from PYG started Oct. 4.
Some tourism groups in India believe this new airport will boost tourism in Sikkim.
“Several tourists from Kolkata have already booked their air tickets to Sikkim. They will be traveling around the Pujas,” Chewang Puljor, the deputy director at the Kolkata office of the Sikkim tourism department told the Times of India. “We expect several high-end tourists had been giving Sikkim a miss since there was no air link. They will now travel to the state.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.