India Opens a Breathtaking New Airport
India revealed its 100th airport this week, and it might be the world’s most beautiful runway yet.
India’s new Pakyong Airport (PYG) sits 4,593 feet high in the Himalayan mountains and will serve Sikkim, a northeast state in India with breathtaking landscapes. The airport was a multimillion dollar project, has a 1.7 kilometer-long and 30-meter-wide runway surrounded by deep valleys. The terminal can accommodate up to 100 people, according to CNN.
“This airport was built at a cost of $68.7 million and showcases our engineers, workers and their potential — how the mountains were cleared, the ditch was filled, the heavy rains they dealt with. This is truly an amazing feat of engineering,” India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi said during a speech at Pakyong’s opening ceremony on Monday.
View this post on Instagram
India’s 100th Airport and first airport of Sikkim at Pakyong is a example of stunning engineering marvel that is so scenic and it is truly heavenly. #pakyong #airport #sikkim #sikkimtourism #northeast #india #incredibleindia #sunset #sunset_pics #runway #aviation #aviationlovers #indiaphotosociety #india_gram #india_clicks #indiatravelgram #india_ig #ig_sunsets #ig_captures #ig_today #imazinindia #architecturephotography #architecturelovers #airportdesign #airportphotography #airportterminal #airportscenes #instaarchitecture #instadesign
A post shared by Rajiv Srivastava (@rajiv_srivastava) on
View this post on Instagram
Serene and splendid!
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) September 23, 2018
SpiceJet, one of India’s largest low-cost carriers, will be the only Indian airline providing air connectivity from Sikkim to the rest of the country — an area the airline says is an un-served market. Pakyong will be the carrier’s ninth destination under the regional regional connectivity scheme UDAN. The airline will operate daily flights to and from PYG started Oct. 4.
Some tourism groups in India believe this new airport will boost tourism in Sikkim.
“Several tourists from Kolkata have already booked their air tickets to Sikkim. They will be traveling around the Pujas,” Chewang Puljor, the deputy director at the Kolkata office of the Sikkim tourism department told the Times of India. “We expect several high-end tourists had been giving Sikkim a miss since there was no air link. They will now travel to the state.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees