IHG PointBreaks promotion discontinued, future uncertain
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For years, the IHG PointBreaks list was one of the most eagerly-anticipated deals among points and miles enthusiasts. Each quarter, IHG would release a list of select properties around the world (even five-star hotels) priced at just 5,000 points per night. That’s unbelievably cheap.
But nothing gold can stay. In early 2018, IHG sharply devalued IHG PointBreaks, introducing three different price points:
- 5,000 points
- 10,000 points
- 15,000 points
This extra pricing tiers brought along a large increase in the number of eligible PointBreaks hotels. While the devaluation miffed the free travel community, the promotional award prices were still a great deal. TPG currently values IHG points at 0.5 cents each, so even the highest-tier 15,000-point award is equivalent to just $75 per night.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
We now have another PointBreaks update: The new list, which should have been released Jan. 27, has failed to appear. TPG reached out to IHG, and they responded:
“We do not have a new IHG Rewards Club PointBreaks promotion planned currently.”
It’s unclear if IHG is retiring the promotion altogether or simply putting it on pause for now.
This is likely to upset a lot of IHG loyalists, along with many who recently opened the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card with its increased, all-time-high bonus of 125,000 points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. PointBreaks was one of the best ways to redeem IHG points — especially for those who like to stretch their points for the most stays — and now it’s not an option.
Related: The best hotel credit cards
We’re not certain that IHG PointBreaks is gone for good. TPG has reached out to IHG again for clarification, and will update this post when we hear more.
Featured photo courtesy of IHG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.