IHG PointBreaks promotion discontinued, future uncertain
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For years, the IHG PointBreaks list was one of the most eagerly-anticipated deals among points and miles enthusiasts. Each quarter, IHG would release a list of select properties around the world (even five-star hotels) priced at just 5,000 points per night. That’s unbelievably cheap.
But nothing gold can stay. In early 2018, IHG sharply devalued IHG PointBreaks, introducing three different price points:
- 5,000 points
- 10,000 points
- 15,000 points
This extra pricing tiers brought along a large increase in the number of eligible PointBreaks hotels. While the devaluation miffed the free travel community, the promotional award prices were still a great deal. TPG currently values IHG points at 0.5 cents each, so even the highest-tier 15,000-point award is equivalent to just $75 per night.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
We now have another PointBreaks update: The new list, which should have been released Jan. 27, has failed to appear. TPG reached out to IHG, and they responded:
“We do not have a new IHG Rewards Club PointBreaks promotion planned currently.”
It’s unclear if IHG is retiring the promotion altogether or simply putting it on pause for now.
This is likely to upset a lot of IHG loyalists, along with many who recently opened the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card with its increased, all-time-high bonus of 140,000 points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. PointBreaks was one of the best ways to redeem IHG points — especially for those who like to stretch their points for the most stays — and now it’s not an option.
Related: The best hotel credit cards
We’re not certain that IHG PointBreaks is gone for good. TPG has reached out to IHG again for clarification, and will update this post when we hear more.
Featured photo courtesy of IHG.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees