This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week, IHG Rewards sent out emails to targeted corporate travelers with a lucrative new promotion. Travelers can choose between a fast track to elite status or triple points — up to 35,000 bonus points — on stays now through August 15.
TPG reader Steve shared the offer he received, which seems to be the same offer that’s been sent out to all targeted travelers:
- Earn triple points on all stays up to 35,000 points [between May 15 and August 15]
- Fast track to Gold Elite in 2 nights (usually 10), or Platinum Elite in 5 nights (usually 40)
Both offers also include the opportunity to earn 2,000 bonus points on every Kimpton stay.
For those that are a cardholder of the IHG Rewards Club Premier Card or the discontinued IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card, you’re going to want to pick the 3x points offer — as you should already have Platinum Elite status. The 35,000 bonus points are worth $210 at current TPG valuations and that’s enough points for up to seven free nights at IHG properties. You’re going to have to book stays through IHG or the “Eligible Company booking tool” for the stay to qualify for this promotion.
For those that don’t have one of these cards and can’t sign up for the new IHG Premier Card, the fast-track to elite status is especially tempting. While TPG only values Gold Elite status at $50, the benefits of Platinum Elite status — such as room upgrades, late checkout and bonus points — lead TPG to peg the value of Platinum Elite status at $1,085 per year.
Either way, you’re going to need to register for the promotion before you get the offer. (Click here to register.) While you might be able to register without being targeted, the terms and conditions state that “Only employees of selected companies are eligible for this offer.” To that point, it looks like IHG will be doing employment checks before granting elite status:
Offer status upgrade will be awarded into each member’s IHG Rewards Club account within six weeks of completed stays and following Eligible Company employee verification.
To confirm if you’re targeted for the promotion, check for an email with the title “Your Choice: Triple points or fast track to Elite status?” The terms and conditions directs travelers to “check with your travel program if you are unsure,” but it also lists the following email address for questions about this promotion: B2BEarnEliteStatusFaster@ihg.com.
Earn 80,000 points, worth up to $480 with the IHG Rewards Premier Card. With this card you'll get IHG Rewards Platinum Elite status which more than negates the value of the $89 annual fee. You'll also earn 10 points per dollar at IHG hotels, 2 points per dollar on gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants and 1 point per dollar on everything else.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Enjoy a Free Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a free reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn 10 points per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®