IHG credit card members, check your email for potential bonus point earning
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you carry an IHG co-branded credit card, now is a good time to check your email. Some cardholders have received targeted offers in recent days that could allow you to maximize your spending in some key categories.
The promotion, available over the next three months, allows certain cardholders to earn bonus points for spending at gas stations, grocery stores and home improvement stores at a rate of 5 points per dollar. The big caveat, though: the bonus points are capped at $1,500 in spending, combined.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
This offer became available on July 1, and runs until September 30. You have until the end of that time frame to activate the offer and earn those bonus points.
Whether you’re close to the points you’ll need for an award night at an IHG property or looking to bolster your arsenal of IHG One Rewards points, this could be a good way to top off or jumpstart your earnings.
TPG Executive Editor Scott Mayerowitz, who carries an IHG Rewards Credit Card, received this offer over the weekend:
As far as cards available, we can report that the promotion Scott received included images of two IHG One Rewards Club cards (not available for new members since last year) along with the IHG Rewards Traveler Credit Card. So, if you carry one of these cards, it’s worth checking to see if you received the offer.
These cards generally earn IHG One Rewards points at a rate of 1, 2 or 3 points per dollar in the grocery store and gas station categories, and all typically earn 1 point per dollar at “other” types of retailers like home improvement stores. So, this is certainly a chance to bolster your earning between now and the end of September.
Since you’re capped at $1,500 in spending eligible for these extra bonus points, you’d earn 7,500 points if you fully tap into the offer. TPG values 7,500 IHG One Rewards points at around $37.50. So, it’s not an offer that’s going to earn you a free night at an IHG property but it can certainly accelerate your earnings toward a free stay beyond what you’d typically enjoy.
You have to activate the offer by 11:59 p.m. on September 30, which is also when this offer expires.
Featured photo by Don and Melinda Crawford/UCG/Universal Images Group/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees