If Your Name Is Wendy or Peter, You Could Get a Free Trip to Neverland
If your name is Wendy or Peter, you may be able to visit Neverland for free.
Matthew Patrick, founder of the video channel The Film Theorists, recently claimed he had “definitively located” the real-life location of fabled Neverland from J.M. Barrie’s childhood classic, “Peter Pan.”
Based on “storybook logic” and treasure map-style “clues” sprinkled throughout both Barrie’s drama as well as the 1953 animated Disney film adaptation, Patrick believes Neverland is situated in Belize, off the coast of the Turneffe Atoll: one of three atolls forming the Belize Barrier Reef, just southeast of Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker.
Using the placement of famous London landmarks, as well as the map of Neverland in the Disney movie, characters’ historical relevance and Pan’s famous direction, “second star to the right, and straight on ’til morning,” Patrick was able to pinpoint the possible Neverland in real life.
Of course, the Central American island nation blushed at the compliment. To celebrate the destination’s newfound status as Neverland, the Belize Tourism Board is sending one lucky Peter-and-Wendy duo on a free five-day vacation to the Turneffe Atoll.
Here’s how it works: If your name is Peter, find a friend named Wendy, and e-mail BelizeNeverland@gmail.com with the appropriately-named friend copied on the “CC” line of the email — vice versa with a friend named Peter, if your name is Wendy. That’s it.
Any Peter and Wendy based in the United States and over the age of 18 have between now and May 14 to submit their applications. That’s when the tourism board will pick one of the winning couples at random for five days in a stuck-in-time paradise.
This seems like a particularly magical opportunity for any honeymooners, newlyweds or lovebirds who just so happen to be named Peter and Wendy, although the relationship is not at all limited to romance. The tourism board confirmed that friends, siblings and relatives are all eligible.
“The Belize Tourism Board felt it was only right that a Peter and Wendy get to visit the island from J.M. Barrie’s fictional tale, to see if the paradise can help them, too, achieve the feelings of eternal childhood,” said a press representative.
But if you don’t bear one of the winning names, don’t fret: You can still book a trip to Neverland on your own. And if you just want to hear the details behind all the sleuthing, here’s the video for your viewing enjoyment.
All images courtesy of the Belize Tourism Board.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.