This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If your name is Wendy or Peter, you may be able to visit Neverland for free.
Matthew Patrick, founder of the video channel The Film Theorists, recently claimed he had “definitively located” the real-life location of fabled Neverland from J.M. Barrie’s childhood classic, “Peter Pan.”
Based on “storybook logic” and treasure map-style “clues” sprinkled throughout both Barrie’s drama as well as the 1953 animated Disney film adaptation, Patrick believes Neverland is situated in Belize, off the coast of the Turneffe Atoll: one of three atolls forming the Belize Barrier Reef, just southeast of Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker.
Using the placement of famous London landmarks, as well as the map of Neverland in the Disney movie, characters’ historical relevance and Pan’s famous direction, “second star to the right, and straight on ’til morning,” Patrick was able to pinpoint the possible Neverland in real life.
Of course, the Central American island nation blushed at the compliment. To celebrate the destination’s newfound status as Neverland, the Belize Tourism Board is sending one lucky Peter-and-Wendy duo on a free five-day vacation to the Turneffe Atoll.
Here’s how it works: If your name is Peter, find a friend named Wendy, and e-mail BelizeNeverland@gmail.com with the appropriately-named friend copied on the “CC” line of the email — vice versa with a friend named Peter, if your name is Wendy. That’s it.
Any Peter and Wendy based in the United States and over the age of 18 have between now and May 14 to submit their applications. That’s when the tourism board will pick one of the winning couples at random for five days in a stuck-in-time paradise.
This seems like a particularly magical opportunity for any honeymooners, newlyweds or lovebirds who just so happen to be named Peter and Wendy, although the relationship is not at all limited to romance. The tourism board confirmed that friends, siblings and relatives are all eligible.
“The Belize Tourism Board felt it was only right that a Peter and Wendy get to visit the island from J.M. Barrie’s fictional tale, to see if the paradise can help them, too, achieve the feelings of eternal childhood,” said a press representative.
But if you don’t bear one of the winning names, don’t fret: You can still book a trip to Neverland on your own. And if you just want to hear the details behind all the sleuthing, here’s the video for your viewing enjoyment.
All images courtesy of the Belize Tourism Board.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees