Iconic Collection From Waldorf Astoria to Be Displayed at New-York Historical Society
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Waldorf Astoria represents a special place in the history of New York. Over the course of almost 90 years, the venerable hotel has played host to kings and queens, presidents, foreign dignitaries and celebrities. Countless people have jostled for space to enjoy a drink at the Bull and Bear or brunch at Peacock Alley. Now, with the hotel undergoing an extensive renovation, the Waldorf Astoria is partnering with the New-York Historical Society to provide a temporary home for some iconic pieces that graced the hotel in past generations.
One of the most famous is the 1907 Steinway grand piano that Cole Porter, the renowned composer, kept in his apartment at the Waldorf Astoria. He composed some of his most popular songs on the piano during his time there, including “Anything Goes,” “I Get a Kick Out of You,” “You’re the Top” and “I’ve Got You Under My Skin.”
The World’s Fair Clock Tower, commissioned by Queen Victoria to show the friendship between the United States and England, will be on display. The collection will also include one of President John F. Kennedy’s rocking chairs from the hotel’s Presidential Suite.
Andrew Miller, the executive director of development at Anbang, the owner of the Waldorf Astoria, lauded the partnership with the New-York Historical Society:
“The New-York Historical Society is one of the finest museums in the nation, with a focus on the rich history of New York City and State, as well as their place in the world,” said Miller. “We chose to form a relationship with New-York Historical because we believe the Museum’s dedicated team of curators and professionals can best help us to further research Waldorf Astoria New York and share new and exciting stories about the hotel’s significance. Waldorf Astoria New York is far more than a building—it has been a gathering place for the world’s most interesting people for nearly 90 years—and we are excited to share its history with the world in new ways. Restoring and displaying the Cole Porter Piano, the World’s Fair Clock Tower, and the Kennedy Rocking Chair at New-York Historical will be a wonderful way for the public to engage with these pieces until they can safely return to the hotel.”
The Waldorf Astoria New York plans to reopen its doors in 2021 when it will again assume its position as the flagship property of the Waldorf Astoria chain. As part of the Hilton family, it will offer approximately 350 hotel rooms and suites to visiting dignitaries and curious travelers alike. It’s safe to bet that the Bull and Bear also will be inviting visitors to enjoy a drink on the famous mahogany bar for generations to come.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.