This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A promotion we’ve written about multiple times in the past has returned yet again: the Spanish Groupon website is selling packages of Iberia Avios. Thanks to a beneficial exchange rate and elevated portal bonuses, you can score Iberia Avios for as little as 1.35 US cents each.
The Groupon Deal: The cost per Avios varies based on what package you get, but — before shopping bonuses — you can purchase Avios for as little as 1.40 US cents per Avios:
- 4,000 Avios for 54 euros (~$61, 1.53 cents each)
- 8,000 Avios for 99 euros (~$112, 1.40 cents each)
- 15,000 Avios for 189 euros (~$214, 1.43 cents each)
- 20,000 Avios for 249 euros (~$283, 1.41 cents each)
Amplify the Deal: It gets even better when you buy this Groupon through the Iberia shopping portal. Thanks to a promotion, you’ll earn 3 Avios per Euro spent by buying these Groupon packages through the portal through Jan. 31, 2019.
With these bonus Avios, you can drop the average price to just 1.35 cents per point. That’s a decent discount to the current TPG valuation of 1.5 cents per Avios. That said, to get this deal, you’re going to need to know Spanish or use a website translation tool to purchase:
Groupon Terms and Conditions:
- The 2,000 Avios package is limited to one purchase per Iberia member. Unfortunately this very-popular package already sold out this time around.
- The 4,000 and 20,000 Avios packages are limited to five purchases per Iberia member.
- The 8,000 and 15,000 Avios packages are limited to ten purchases per Iberia member.
- You must redeem your Groupon voucher for Iberia Avios by March 13, 2019. However, you don’t need to use the Avios by this date.
The optimal 1.35 cents per Avios rate is available for up to 10x packages of the 8,000 Avios, meaning you can get a total of 82,970 Avios — after portal bonuses — for $1,123 total (1.35 cents each). If that’s not enough, add 5x packages of the 20,000 Avios to get another 103,735 Avios for $1,413 (1.36 cents each).
Steps to Maximize This Deal
- If you don’t have an Iberia Plus account, register online.
- Start at the Spanish version of the IberiaPluStore home page and log in to your account at the upper right corner where it says “Acceder.” If you try to start directly from the English version of the page or directly at the Groupon page, you may get an error. Then after you’re logged in, you may need to switch the language into English using the “Idioma” box at the upper left corner.
- Navigate to the IberiaPluStore’s Groupon page.
- Click “Shop Now” to be transferred to Groupon with a tracking cookie. Then search “Avios” at the top of the page.
- Choose the package(s) that you want to purchase.
- Try using a card that doesn’t charge a foreign transaction fee. If you run into errors, try using PayPal to pay. While I’ve had to use PayPal in the past, I had no trouble using my Chase Sapphire Reserve when taking advantage of this deal in November 2018.
- Complete your purchase. You should be able to retrieve your voucher within a few minutes.
- Redeem your Groupon voucher(s) via the provided Google Docs form before Mar. 13, 2019. When you submit the voucher code and your Iberia Plus account number, the form notes it takes 10 days for the Avios to post to your IberiaPlus account. So, be prepared for this delay.
- Check back to confirm your IberiaPluStore bonus Avios posted. It typically takes a few weeks before these bonus Avios post, so don’t expect them immediately.
Why Buy Avios
While there are some great uses using Iberia’s chart itself, the most-relevant redemptions for TPG readers are for domestic American Airlines awards. The cumulative distance-based Iberia award chart starts at just 11,000 Avios for flights less than 600 miles. Just note that round-trip awards are required.
However, a much more lucrative use of Avios is flying overseas in premium cabins. For example, it takes just 34,000 Avios one-way — or 68,000 Avios round-trip — to fly from New York (JFK), Boston (BOS) or Chicago (ORD) to Madrid (MAD) in business class. And taxes and fees are reasonable:
The cheaper way of getting this award would be to buy 6x packages of 8,000 Avios and 1x package of 20,000 Avios. That’s a total of 68,000 Avios — before portal bonuses — for just $957. After adding in the award’s taxes and fees, you’d pay less than $1,200 for a round-trip business class flight to Europe and have some extra Avios left over.
I’ve used Avios that I purchased during one of the previous times this offer was available toward the 25,500 Avios needed to book a one-way premium economy flight from New York’s JFK to Madrid (MAD) during an off-peak date.
Transferring to British Airways Avios
You can also transfer Avios from your Iberia account to your British Airways account. But, there are some limitations before you can do so: Both of your accounts — British Airways’ Executive Club and Iberia’s Iberia Plus — must have been open for at least 90 days. So, if you open an Iberia Plus account for this promotion, you’ll need to wait 90 days to transfer Avios from Iberia to British Airways.
In addition to the 90-day rule, you need to make sure your personal information is listed identically in both Iberia’s and BA’s systems before you’re allowed to transfer between accounts. This is the roadblock that I ran into when trying to book the Iberia premium economy flight at the last minute. It seems your birth date, email address and name all have to match before the transfer can occur.
Once your Avios are transferred, you can take advantage of British Airways’ distance-based award chart. Need more British Airways Avios? You can earn up to 120,000 Avios from the British Airways Visa Signature Card.
For those looking for cheap Avios, this is a great opportunity to get points for as little as 1.35 cents each. While this is a great rate, it’s a hassle to have to buy the Avios through Spain’s Groupon page and wait up a couple of weeks for all of the points to post. But hopefully the step-by-step instructions above based on our experience from past similar deals will make it an easy deal to utilize.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.