How a 15-minute phone call landed me a Hyatt status challenge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
World of Hyatt has a reputation for being relatively conservative when it comes to status matches and challenges. However, just a few weeks ago, Hyatt launched a round of fast-track offers for American Airlines elites. Now, it appears that Hyatt is offering an even more generous status challenge and anyone can participate.
Here’s everything you need to know about Hyatt’s elite status shortcuts.
Get points and miles coverage like this delivered to your inbox by signing up for the TPG daily newsletter.
Status match for American Airlines elites
Let’s begin by discussing the offers available to American Airlines AAdvantage elites. Right now, American Gold, Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum members can fast-track to Hyatt Explorist or Globalist status.
If you register by Sept. 30, you’ll immediately begin enjoying mid-tier Explorist status for 90 days following registration. You can extend this status (or bump yourself to top-tier Globalist) through February 2023 by completing a set number of elite-qualifying nights at Hyatt properties in 90 days immediately following registration.
Based on reports from TPG staffers and readers, it appears that these are the requirements to keep Explorist status or earn Globalist status during the 90-day window:
- Keep Explorist status by staying 10 nights.
- Upgrade to Globalist status by staying 20 nights.
Qualifying nights are any that would normally count toward Hyatt elite status, including paid and award bookings.
It’s worth noting that Hyatt has already halved elite status requirements for 2021 due to the pandemic. These represent a comparatively small reduction (33% lower than the updated thresholds). Nevertheless, if you are already set to stay at Hyatt properties in the near future, this is a great opportunity to secure a fast-tracked elite status.
Existing AA elites can log in and register at this link.
New status challenge offer
As first spotted by Strayersong on FlyerTalk and confirmed by TPG, there’s a new fast-track opportunity to Discoverist, Explorist or Globalist status. Interestingly, this offer seems to be open to anyone, as opposed to just American Airlines elite members and is a bit more generous.
To participate in this challenge, you must register by Nov. 30. You’ll then have until February 28th to meet the following requirements — regardless of when you sign up:
- Stay 4 nights to earn Discoverist.
- Stay 10 nights for an upgrade to Explorist.
- Stay 20 nights for an upgrade to Globalist.
As is usually the case for status challenges, only stays completed after registering count.
Interestingly, there aren’t any details about this offer on Hyatt’s website, but we were able to confirm the details with a Hyatt supervisor over the phone on July 26. While this fast-track seems to offer status for fewer nights, the American Airlines elite status fast-track offers Explorist status right off the bat.
It was also noted by the agent that it is only a targeted offer. She also mentioned that you likely need elite status with other hotel chains to be eligible.
How to sign up
As mentioned, we could not find any information about this status challenge online. We ended up having to call Hyatt at 800-544-9288.
After a quick chat with a representative, we were moved up to a supervisor who was able to confirm our registration and details after a quick hold. Altogether, I was able to confirm the details and register within 15 minutes.
Unfortunately, Hyatt has confirmed in an email to TPG that the five elite-qualifying nights awarded to new cardholders of the World of Hyatt Credit Card will not count toward these thresholds.
If you have 15 minutes and some Hyatt stays already on the schedule, this is a perfect opportunity to fast-track yourself to elite status. Hyatt rarely offers these status challenges, and earning top-tier Hyatt Globalist (worth $4,990 based on TPG valuations) with only 15 nights is an awesome offer. With perks like free breakfast and suite upgrades, a fast-track to elite status at Hyatt is certainly worth a quick phone call.
Featured photo of the ZH Hana Maui Resort Hyatt by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees