Hyatt Launches New Points Promotion and Improves Globalist Suite Benefits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The World of Hyatt loyalty program launched in early 2017 and it wasn’t viewed by everyone as a unanimous success. Elite perks at the highest tier did indeed get sweeter for those who could qualify, but things generally tightened up everywhere else. In 2018, Hyatt demonstrated that they had been listening to customer feedback and made some tweaks and adjustments to improve the World of Hyatt program. At the beginning of this year, they announced that award stays would count towards earning elite status, and that you would have a longer period of time to use the free night awards you earned in the program.
Now halfway into 2018, the World of Hyatt has more pieces good news to share relating to confirmed suite upgrades and a brand new bonus points promotion!
Hyatt Globalist Suite Upgrade Awards Valid for Longer
Currently, when Hyatt Globalists earn or re-qualify for Hyatt Globalist status, there are four confirmed suite upgrades deposited into their account that are valid for 365 days. This is different than in the previous version of the program where upgrade awards’ expiration dates were tied to an elite calendar year. This 365-day countdown can lead to incentives to delay qualifying for Globalist status, especially if the stay for which you wanted to use the upgrade was more than a year out.
For example, if you were on track to requalify for Hyatt Globalist elite status in September 2018, but there was a stay in November 2019 for which you wanted to use your suite upgrades, then you would have a problem under the old 365-day rule. If it was a really big trip you were eyeing, you might go so far as to not book Hyatt stays for a few months until you could time your requalification with being 365 days or less from when you wanted to use your upgrades. This was a pretty silly policy, and thankfully it has been replaced with Globalist suite upgrades and Explorist lounge awards being valid through the tier expiration date. This means that whenever you qualify or requalify for status in 2018, your upgrade or lounge awards will be valid until February 29, 2020.
New Promo: Earn Bonus Points at Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency Properties
While only Hyatt elites will benefit from the first part of today’s good news, everyone with eligible Hyatt stays at Grand Hyatt or Hyatt Regency properties should enjoy this next announcement. From June 1 – August 31, 2018, you can earn 2,500 bonus Hyatt points for every five qualifying nights at Grand Hyatt or Hyatt Regency properties via the new More Points for You promotion. These nights do not need to be consecutive, and there is no limit to the number of 2,500 point bonuses you can earn, though only the room occupied by the member will count towards this promotion.
You must register for the promo from June 1 – July 15, 2018. Both eligible paid rates and award nights will count towards this promotion. In other words, if your Grand Hyatt or Hyatt Regency stay counts toward earning Hyatt elite status, it should count toward this new promotion.
Kudos to Hyatt both for running a bonus points promotion during the busy summer travel months, and for improving the confirmed suite benefit rules for Globalists.
- Earn 25,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. Plus, 25,000 Bonus Points after you spend $6,000 total within 6 months of account opening.
- Free nights start at 5,000 points
- Receive 1 free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort after your Cardmember anniversary
- Earn an extra free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel if you spend $15,000 during your cardmember anniversary year
- Get automatic World of Hyatt Elite status and 5 qualifying night credits every year as long as your account is open
- Earn 2 qualifying night credits towards tier status everytime you spend $5,000 on your card
- Earn 9 points total for Hyatt stays - 4 Bonus Points per $1 spent at Hyatt hotels & 5 Base Points per $1 you can earn as a World of Hyatt member
- Earn 2 Bonus Points per $1 spent at restaurants, on airlines tickets purchased directly from the airlines, on local transit and commuting and on fitness club and gym memberships