This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, Hyatt launched a brand new buy points promotion, giving members the chance to boost their World of Hyatt balance by purchasing points with a 40% bonus when they buy at least 10,000 points. If you’ve been thinking about utilizing this promotion, time is running out, as the bonus will expire at 11:59pm ET tomorrow (Tuesday June 11).
This Hyatt buy points promotion is tiered. You’ll get a 30% bonus for buying 5,000 to 9,000 points and the full 40% bonus for buying at least 10,000 points. Without any bonus, Hyatt points sell for 2.4 cents apiece. However, with the 40% bonus, you can get them at the discounted rate of 1.71 cents each. TPG’s latest valuations peg World of Hyatt points at 1.7 cents each, so there’s potential to get good value from buying points at this rate.
The Hyatt award chart starts at just 5,000 points per night. At the optimal 1.71 cents per point rate, you can buy award nights starting at just $86. And there are some excellent options at just 5,000 points each. For example, Katie and I stayed at the incredible Hyatt Regency Kuantan Resort in January for just 5,000 points per night. Even better, there’s no resort fees at this property.
If you’re looking for more inspiration, here are some other family-focused category 1-4 Hyatt properties and TPG readers’ favorite Hyatt redemptions along with ways to maximize your redemptions. Alternatively, you can redeem as few as 2,500 points plus a cash co-pay through Points + Cash redemptions. And remember that award nights now count toward elite status.
Free Ways of Getting Hyatt Points
No matter how good of a deal the buy-points promotion is, there are still many other ways to earn Hyatt points, and utilizing a credit card sign-up bonus can be a much cheaper way of stocking up. You can do so directly through the The World of Hyatt Credit Card — which is currently offering up to 50,000 bonus points. You’ll earn 25,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening and an additional 25,000 bonus points after you spend $6,000 total on purchases within the first six months of account opening.
Also, you can transfer points from Chase Ultimate Rewards to Hyatt at 1:1 ratio. If you’re short on Ultimate Rewards points, one of the best sign-up offers is the Ink Business Preferred Credit Card‘s 80,000-point sign-up bonus after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening. You could also snag 50,000 points on the Chase Sapphire Reserve after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening or 60,000 points on the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.
How to Buy Hyatt Points With a 40% Bonus
If you’re interested in taking advantage of this deal, here are the step-by-step directions:
- Visit Hyatt’s Buy Points link.
- Enter your World of Hyatt membership number, name and email address.
- Select the number of points you want to purchase, enter your credit card information and billing address, agree to the terms and conditions and click Purchase Bonus Points.
Keep in mind that the usual restrictions for purchasing Hyatt points apply to these transactions, including:
- You must purchase points in increments of 1,000 points up to a maximum of 55,000 points per calendar year.
- Any purchased points will not count toward qualification for any increased or improved status or elite membership in the World of Hyatt program.
Which Credit Card to Use to Purchase
Consider using the The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express (2x Membership Rewards points on the first $50,000 per year; then 1x, 4% return), Chase Freedom Unlimited (1.5x Ultimate Rewards points, 3% return) or Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard (2x Arrival miles, 2.1% return including a 5% points rebate).
Featured photo of the Hyatt Regency Kuantan Resort — available for just 5,000 points per night — by Katie Genter/The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
- Earn 25,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. Plus, 25,000 Bonus Points after you spend $6,000 total within 6 months of account opening.
- Free nights start at 5,000 points
- Receive 1 free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort after your Cardmember anniversary
- Earn an extra free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel if you spend $15,000 during your cardmember anniversary year
- Get automatic World of Hyatt Elite status and 5 qualifying night credits every year as long as your account is open
- Earn 2 qualifying night credits towards tier status everytime you spend $5,000 on your card
- Earn 9 points total for Hyatt stays - 4 Bonus Points per $1 spent at Hyatt hotels & 5 Base Points per $1 you can earn as a World of Hyatt member
- Earn 2 Bonus Points per $1 spent at restaurants, on airlines tickets purchased directly from the airlines, on local transit and commuting and on fitness club and gym memberships