This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
World of Hyatt members have a new option to save a bit of cash when booking one of the chain’s properties around the world. The new Member Rate Advance Purchase is now available at all of Hyatt’s 700+ hotels, offering up to 15% off when you book at least 14 days prior to arrival.
In fact, the rate ended up offering a savings of 20% compared to the standard offering — higher than the 15% advertised. The savings can be far less significant on other dates, though.
Note that this new advance purchase rate is entirely prepaid and nonrefundable, so you should only ever consider that option if you’re certain that your plans won’t change. Otherwise it could make more sense to book an ever-so-slightly higher rate — say, AAA — instead.
Over the holidays you’ll only save a small amount relative to the sky-high room pricing, for example:
As always, be sure to read the rate rules very carefully. Some properties have especially unforgiving policies that could land you in hot water even if you’re booking a rate that would ordinarily be entirely refundable elsewhere. At this hotel, the AAA rate for that peak holiday stay must be canceled 90 days in advance for a refund.
It always makes sense to check the award rates, too — in this case, with the lowest prepaid rates at $320, 30,000 points per night doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, considering TPG’s latest valuation of 1.8 cents per Hyatt point. Still, in some cases, you could come out far ahead by using your points, so don’t rule out that option just because of the potential savings with this new prepaid rate.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards