Hyatt offering 10,000 points for expiring free night certificates
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Each year, I receive a free night at eligible hotels as a perk of the The World Of Hyatt Credit Card, valid at Category 1-4 properties around the world. A couple of months ago, I figured I wouldn’t have any issue redeeming my certificate this year, even though it was due to expire at the beginning of April. And then, like everything else, coronavirus threw a wrench in those plans.
I assumed I’d just have to let it go poof, until I read that Hyatt seemed willing to convert certificates to points on travel blog Miles Quest. I sent @HyattConcierge a direct message on Twitter with my World of Hyatt number, name and email address and received a response in nine minutes that my certificate had been converted. I logged into my account and the 10,000 points were already there. Wow!
Considering TPG values Hyatt points at 1.7 cents each, those few seconds of work netted me points worth $170 — far more than The World Of Hyatt Credit Card‘s $95 annual fee. The Hyatt representative noted that accounts will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, but if you have a certificate expiring soon, it could certainly be worth making a request.
While you can technically get up to 15,000 points in value from the certificate — the standard rate for a Category 4 hotel — there’s simply no way I would have been able to use it before it expired this year. Given how many great properties you can book, though, that’ll certainly be my goal for The World Of Hyatt Credit Card certificate I’m expecting to receive soon, valid through the beginning of next year.
Featured photo courtesy of the Hyatt Regency Grand Reserve Puerto Rico, a Category 3 hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.