Cabbies Who Hustle Customers Focus of Crackdown at NYC Area Airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
NYC area airports saw a huge jump in the number of arrests of hustling cabbies at its airports in 2018 the Port Authority reported on Wednesday. New York’s Kennedy Airport (JFK) saw the biggest spike — up 67% — with 734 arrests while LaGuardia (LGA) recorded 295 arrests. Over at Liberty International (EWR) in Newark police made 142 arrests. If you were one of the record number of people visiting New York in 2018, there is a good chance you might have had an encounter with one of these cabbies.
The New York area has a highly regulated system surrounding its limos, yellow cabs and livery cars and their operations within the boroughs, even more so at airports. Drivers are not allow to solicit rides from passengers at the airport. Passengers can either prearrange rides — with a car service, livery cab, or a ride share like Uber or Lyft — or catch an iconic yellow cab from a taxi stand. Your best bet to ensure you are catching a ride with a licensed driver who is approved and regulated by the city is to grab your bags and head to the taxi stand.
If someone is offering you a ride inside of the airport, they’re breaking the law, so steer clear of their offer. Yellow cabs, livery cabs and limos have to meet safety and customer service standards set by the city. If you take that offer at baggage claim there is no telling what kind of experience you will have.
Last year, a woman accepted such a ride from a driver claiming to be a livery driver — he wasn’t. He then locked her in the car when she changed her mind about the ride. Luckily, police heard her screams and came to her aid. The key thing here is to remember that drivers are not allowed to solicit passengers at the airport, licensed or not.
If you are flying into New York and haven’t made prior arrangements for your pickup, grab your bags and head to the taxi stand. If you don’t want to have to wait at the taxi stand, prearrange your ride with your favorite rideshare service or book a ride with a licensed livery cab service.
H/T: NY Daily News
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
Feature image via Getty
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees