How Your NYC MetroCard Can Win You a Free Trip to Hawaii
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fellow New Yorkers, we know.
We know the last thing you want to do is add yet another MetroCard to the ever-growing graveyard of defunct tickets you’ve somehow managed to accumulate over the past few years or so. We get it, and that’s fine. But, consider this: What if one new MetroCard could get you not only to the lovely Union Square station at 14th street — but a free trip to Hawaii?
And no, that’s not a rhetorical question. Because the Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau (HVCB) launched a contest on Tuesday that will fly six lucky MetroCard holders (each with a plus-one) from NYC to Hawaii for a free vacation.
Here’s how it works. From Tuesday, April 23, to Tuesday, April 30, participating MTA subway ticket vending machines will be distributing up to 250,000 Hawaiian-themed MetroCards. New Yorkers can purchase the Hawaiian-themed MetroCard, log on to www.hawaii.nyc and enter the 10 digit code on the back of the card to enter into the sweepstakes. Six winners will be selected randomly from the entrants, and the first drawing will take place on Wednesday, May 8.
Participating subway stations are listed below:
- 72nd and Amsterdam (1, 2, 3)
- 86th and Lexington (4, 5, 6)
- 59th and Columbus (A, B, C, D)
- 23rd and 8th (C, E)
- 14th and Union Square (L, N, Q, R, W, 4, 5, 6)
- Broadway & Lafayette at Houston (B, D, F, M)
- Fulton Street (A, C, J, Z, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr (B, Q, 2, 3, 4, 5)
(Note: If you go to get your Hawaii MetroCard and the machine issues you a standard one — go to the ticket desk and ask to trade it. We went to test this out at the Union Square station and had to do this.)
Although there probably is no bigger contrast than the one between a crowded subway at rush hour and the fresh, open air on a beach in Maui— the six entrants that are being sent off to Hawaii will also win some goodies from New York-based companies. For example, the winner of the first trip to Oahu in May will win a ticket to Governor’s Ball in 2020, and the winner of the trip to the Island of Hawaii in June will win a selection of Barry’s Bootcamp classes and merch. The rest of these partnerships include Molokai and Best Made (July), Maui and The Infatuation (August), Kauai and Saturdays NYC (September) and Lanai and Four Seasons Lanai (October).
“New Yorkers use the subway to travel to different neighborhoods for their unique experiences, in a similar fashion each of the six islands of Hawaii provides a unique set of experiences,” Jay Talwar, chief marketing officer of HVCB, said in a statement. “The MTA brings New Yorkers to the places they want to go, and our goal is to remind New Yorkers that they can maintain this mindset when planning a vacation in the Islands of Hawaii.”
Featured image by Isaac Ordaz/Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees