How to Watch an Asteroid Larger Than Three Boeing 737s Pass Earth Tonight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A massive near-Earth asteroid named 2010 WC9 is scheduled to zoom past Earth Tuesday evening. It’s expected to safely pass us at a staggering speed of more than 28,600 miles per hour.
Though estimates vary, the asteroid is thought to be between 197 and 430 feet long (for context, that’s somewhere between the length of a single Airbus A330 and three Boeing 737-MAX 10s).
Few asteroids of this size have ever been observed passing this close to Earth, according to Earthsky.org.
Despite its magnitude and relative proximity to Earth (some 126,419 miles), the asteroid will not be visible to the unaided eye. But NASA representatives say amateur astronomers can easily watch the space rock pass Earth with an eight-inch telescope.
“At closest approach,” David C. Agle, a media relations specialist from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory told TPG, “the asteroid will be ‘under’ our planet — in particular, over the coast of Antarctica, on the southern edge of the Indian Ocean.”
Fortunately, you don’t need to be on an icebreaker cruise to witness the rare phenomenon (this particular asteroid hasn’t come this close to our planet in nearly 300 years).
“A good observing spot,” Agle pointed out, “would be Cape Town, South Africa.”
Train your telescope at the sky around 6:05pm EST, or just past midnight on the coast of Africa, for your best chance at observing the asteroid.
Don’t have your telescope handy? Northholt Branch Observatories in the UK caught a live stream of the asteroid as it passed over London after midnight Tuesday morning.
Featured image by Corbis/Corbis via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees