Here’s how to stack Target’s latest promotion with Q4 bonus categories
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Holiday shoppers, rejoice: Target’s offering 5% off of digital gift cards, up to $25 off of $500, as reported by Frequent Miler. This may not seem like a huge discount, but will still take the edge off of larger purchases such as kitchen appliances or video game systems. If you regularly shop at Target, purchasing a gift card now also allows you to shop with the funds at a later date, when you might be able to stack additional coupons and discounts or scour the post-holiday clearance sales.
We usually recommend shoppers use the Target RedCard if they hold either the debit or credit card version, in order to take advantage of the automatic 5% off. But for this 5% promotion that effectively matches the RedCard benefit, it makes more sense to pay with a credit card like the Chase Freedom, which is offering 5x for checking out with PayPal this quarter, or the Discover it Cash Back, which is currently offering 5% cash back on Target.com (on the first $1,500 in purchases each quarter in rotating categories, enrollment required). Both of the cards mentioned will offer bonus points on the first $1,500 in qualifying purchases between October 1 and December 31.
What you need to know:
- Digital gift cards are only valid if purchased directly from Target.com
- The offer is valid for up to $500 in Target GiftCard purchases — $25 maximum discount — per household on Target.com
- The 5% offer applies to email and mobile delivery of Target gift cards only, and cannot be used toward physical gift cards
- The minimum card amount is $10
- This bonus doesn’t extend to any other gift cards issued by Target or other retailers including Visa or MasterCard
- The promotion will not count toward reloads of previously purchased gift cards
- If you’re using the Chase Freedom, you’ll only qualify for the 5x bonus category if you pay for the digital gift card via PayPal, which Frequent Miler successfully tested in conjunction with the 5% promotion
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.