This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Perseids, the year’s biggest and arguably most popular meteor shower, is taking place starting tonight and extends through August 13. However, peak visibility is expected between August 12 and 13, according to Time Magazine, particularly between the hours of 3am and 5am.
At the time of the showers, there will be a near new moon according to Bill Cooke, a NASA meteor expert, making it among the best of 2018. The Perseids are also equipped with fireballs, which should make the show particularly vivid.
This annual meteor shower will unfold once Comet Swift-Tuttle, the largest object known to repeatedly pass by Earth, leaves behind a trail of dust and debris, according to Space.com. When this debris (formally known as meteoroids when they are in space) hits Earth’s atmosphere, they turn into meteors.
They appear as bright streaks of light, which are best seen in dark areas. You will see an average of 60 to 70 meteors per hour, but during outbursts, up to 200 can shoot through the sky.
If you’re looking to watch the meteor shower, it’s best to give your eyes at least 30 minutes to adjust to the dark. According to Cooke, lying on your back and “[taking] in as much sky as possible” are essentials for the best experience.
The best views of the meteor shower will be in the Northern Hemisphere, but those in the mid-Southern hemisphere may see a shooting star if they are facing the northeast horizon, according to Time. If you aren’t in a prime area, the meteor shower is the perfect excuse to escape to the countryside for a long weekend to watch the sky light up with shooting stars.
But if traveling is not an option, don’t fret. While it may not come with the reputation as the year’s biggest meteor shower, the Orinoid Meteor Shower will take place Oct. 2 to Nov. 7, with its peak expected between Oct. 21 and 22.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees