This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Perseids, the year’s biggest and arguably most popular meteor shower, is taking place starting tonight and extends through August 13. However, peak visibility is expected between August 12 and 13, according to Time Magazine, particularly between the hours of 3am and 5am.
At the time of the showers, there will be a near new moon according to Bill Cooke, a NASA meteor expert, making it among the best of 2018. The Perseids are also equipped with fireballs, which should make the show particularly vivid.
This annual meteor shower will unfold once Comet Swift-Tuttle, the largest object known to repeatedly pass by Earth, leaves behind a trail of dust and debris, according to Space.com. When this debris (formally known as meteoroids when they are in space) hits Earth’s atmosphere, they turn into meteors.
They appear as bright streaks of light, which are best seen in dark areas. You will see an average of 60 to 70 meteors per hour, but during outbursts, up to 200 can shoot through the sky.
If you’re looking to watch the meteor shower, it’s best to give your eyes at least 30 minutes to adjust to the dark. According to Cooke, lying on your back and “[taking] in as much sky as possible” are essentials for the best experience.
The best views of the meteor shower will be in the Northern Hemisphere, but those in the mid-Southern hemisphere may see a shooting star if they are facing the northeast horizon, according to Time. If you aren’t in a prime area, the meteor shower is the perfect excuse to escape to the countryside for a long weekend to watch the sky light up with shooting stars.
But if traveling is not an option, don’t fret. While it may not come with the reputation as the year’s biggest meteor shower, the Orinoid Meteor Shower will take place Oct. 2 to Nov. 7, with its peak expected between Oct. 21 and 22.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards