This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Perseids, the year’s biggest and arguably most popular meteor shower, is taking place starting tonight and extends through August 13. However, peak visibility is expected between August 12 and 13, according to Time Magazine, particularly between the hours of 3am and 5am.
At the time of the showers, there will be a near new moon according to Bill Cooke, a NASA meteor expert, making it among the best of 2018. The Perseids are also equipped with fireballs, which should make the show particularly vivid.
This annual meteor shower will unfold once Comet Swift-Tuttle, the largest object known to repeatedly pass by Earth, leaves behind a trail of dust and debris, according to Space.com. When this debris (formally known as meteoroids when they are in space) hits Earth’s atmosphere, they turn into meteors.
They appear as bright streaks of light, which are best seen in dark areas. You will see an average of 60 to 70 meteors per hour, but during outbursts, up to 200 can shoot through the sky.
If you’re looking to watch the meteor shower, it’s best to give your eyes at least 30 minutes to adjust to the dark. According to Cooke, lying on your back and “[taking] in as much sky as possible” are essentials for the best experience.
The best views of the meteor shower will be in the Northern Hemisphere, but those in the mid-Southern hemisphere may see a shooting star if they are facing the northeast horizon, according to Time. If you aren’t in a prime area, the meteor shower is the perfect excuse to escape to the countryside for a long weekend to watch the sky light up with shooting stars.
But if traveling is not an option, don’t fret. While it may not come with the reputation as the year’s biggest meteor shower, the Orinoid Meteor Shower will take place Oct. 2 to Nov. 7, with its peak expected between Oct. 21 and 22.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards